Dual Steering Stabilizer Help

JKU-ELP-TX

Dear fellow Jeepers. I need help. I am currently running a Rough Country 2.5IN JEEP SERIES II SUSPENSION LIFT KIT 35” BFG KO2. I have had this set up for over a year and recently I have been getting a lot of death wobble. I would like to upgrade the steering stabilizer to a dual set up. I hear am told procomp is the way to go but I have also heard that other options are better. Can anyone let me know their experience and their preferred dual stabilizer. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Can anyone let me know their experience and their preferred dual stabilizer. Thanks

The best dual stabilizer systems out there are the ones that sit on shelves in warehouses for years because the company has enough pride and conscience to not sell them to uninformed consumers.

Ddays

Hooked
All this ^^

Get a blanket and lay under the jeep (NOT while its running) while someone turns the wheel back and forth until you identify the loose joint. A very small amount on one of the joint ends will translate into what you are experiencing.
If you don't see any loose joints jack up the front wheels and check for play - that could be your balljoints.

Be sure to check that link Veruge posted - its invaluable :thumb:

JKU-ELP-TX

All this ^^

Get a blanket and lay under the jeep (NOT while its running) while someone turns the wheel back and forth until you identify the loose joint. A very small amount on one of the joint ends will translate into what you are experiencing.
If you don't see any loose joints jack up the front wheels and check for play - that could be your balljoints.

Be sure to check that link Veruge posted - its invaluable :thumb:

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the information. I will follow up on the outcome.

JeepJeep75

Don’t overlook the front shocks either. I’ve seen a friend go through the DW. He replaced a few worn joints, but the blown front shocks turned out to be the main cause of his DW case.

WJCO

Meme King
Don’t overlook the front shocks either. I’ve seen a friend go through the DW. He replaced a few worn joints, but the blown front shocks turned out to be the main cause of his DW case.

How is that? Shocks shouldn't have anything to do with the position of the axle.

WJCO

Meme King
I was refereeing to the OP’s mention of death-wobble.

That's what I'm saying. Even if shocks were removed from the vehicle, it shouldn't change the way the axle functions. My guess is your buddy had something else causing the DW, but the weak shocks were not absorbing the axles movement (because they were weak) making the DW manifest itself. When he replaced them, they absorbed the axle motion properly and hid whatever was causing the DW. I had the same thing happen with out of balance tires. When I balanced them, the DW went away, but the cause of it was still there (turned out to be a loose track bar bolt that time). Had that bolt been tightened properly, even out of balance tires shouldn't have manifested the DW symptom. If that makes sense. Basically for DW to occur, there has to be EXCESSIVE PLAY somewhere (track bar, ball joints, steering).

JeepJeep75

That's what I'm saying. Even if shocks were removed from the vehicle, it shouldn't change the way the axle functions. My guess is your buddy had something else causing the DW, but the weak shocks were not absorbing the axles movement (because they were weak) making the DW manifest itself. When he replaced them, they absorbed the axle motion properly and hid whatever was causing the DW. I had the same thing happen with out of balance tires. When I balanced them, the DW went away, but the cause of it was still there (turned out to be a loose track bar bolt that time). Had that bolt been tightened properly, even out of balance tires shouldn't have manifested the DW symptom. If that makes sense. Basically for DW to occur, there has to be EXCESSIVE PLAY somewhere (track bar, ball joints, steering).

No doubt, every part of the front suspension must work properly, and the blown shocks were just part of the contributing factor to the DW.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a blown shock on my passenger side front axle and while I do think it did helped to "instigate" instances of death wobble that I was having, it was by no means, the "cause" of it. For me, bad ball joints were the real culprit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks JeepJeep75. I swapped out the shocks a little over a year ago but I will get that checked as well.

I have personally seen and have dealt with a lot of cases of death wobble over the years. What I can tell you is that a blown shock "may" help instigate an episode of it but it will NOT be the "cause" of it. Don't believe me? Remove one shock on a brand new Jeep or one that you know is in perfectly good shape and drive it across a set of rail road tracks or other rough pavement that would otherwise cause death wobble. While there might be some movement to cause the oscillation that would induce death wobble, your good suspension and steering components won't allow it to occur.

I would highly recommend that you refer to the link that has been posted and go from there.

FallonJeeper

And just to be clear a little vibration is NOT death wobble.

Believe me, death wobble is an Oh, my god, WTF moment.

Pinion angle can also be a leading contributor when a lift kit is involved.

You may find it's a combination of root causes between worn parts and bad pinion angle. Don't rule anything out until you've checked it thoroughly.

And as mentioned, shocks and steering stabilizers only mask the real issue.

I have personally seen and have dealt with a lot of cases of death wobble over the years. What I can tell you is that a blown shock "may" help instigate an episode of it but it will NOT be the "cause" of it. Don't believe me? Remove one shock on a brand new Jeep or one that you know is in perfectly good shape and drive it across a set of rail road tracks or other rough pavement that would otherwise cause death wobble. While there might be some movement to cause the oscillation that would induce death wobble, your good suspension and steering components won't allow it to occur.

I would highly recommend that you refer to the link that has been posted and go from there.

^^^^^ This and my ball joints were also bad and i just changed them and that's what the culprit was as-well.

Top Bottom