Single back seat in a 2 Door JK

Scrambler

I recently purchased a pop up, but have found an issue with taking it camping. The JK pulled it fine as we specifically sought out a model that weighed well under the JK’s towing capacity, but we quickly realized that we would have to take two cars because of the kiddo having no where to sit once we packed up the Jeep. My question is, has anyone sourced a bucket seat and found a safe way to mount it in the back of the Jeep? I would go the jump seat route, but I’m not sure that would work well with a car seat.

My train of thought is to just by the bracketry and seat and mount it, but I’d like to see pictures of someone’s Jeep that has done this before I tackle it. I do not want to add a roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gbint

The dog bones on the jk floor should make it very easy to secure seats. Hooks on the front and clamps in the rear of the chosen seat, hopefully from a matching jk.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The dog bones on the jk floor should make it very easy to secure seats. Hooks on the front and clamps in the rear of the chosen seat, hopefully from a matching jk.

They are only on the sides. Safest way would probably be to use a two door seat bracket and mount a single seat to it. That way it matches to both sides but only has a seat on one side.

Scrambler

Can you mount a hitch mounted cargo carrier on the trailer, and use a waterproof bag to put things in?

I’ve thought about this, but I’d have to weld a receiver on the back bumper and I’m afraid stacking the amount of wood we use on that would pull too much weight off the tongue. It probably wouldn’t, but I’m a FNG when it comes to this pulling a camper thing and everything involving safety worries me.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I’ve thought about this, but I’d have to weld a receiver on the back bumper and I’m afraid stacking the amount of wood we use on that would pull too much weight off the tongue. It probably wouldn’t, but I’m a FNG when it comes to this pulling a camper thing and everything involving safety worries me.

Yeah, I’m grasping at straws, for you. The 2 door struggle is real.

IMG_0758.jpg
IMG_0760.JPG

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-stromberg-carlson-a-frame-trailer-tray-cargo-carrier-cc-255.aspx

IMG_0761.JPG

Scrambler

IMG_2480.jpg IMG_2488.jpg

As requested. The tongue storage is not option as you can see. Please excuse the boxes on top. Santa couldn’t fit all of the toys at the North Pole, so he’s storing some at my house.

I don’t know if I can put a rack up top. It has a bigger AC unit on it and I don’t know if the top will hold a couple hundred pounds extra of wood. I am looking into putting the bikes on top of the camper in the space a rack could go.

Hell, maybe I just need to organize better so I can fit fire wood inside of the camper for transit.

WJCO

Meme King
Build something above the propane and battery. We have a family of 5 and take a ton of shit when we car camp.

Scrambler

Well shit. I guess I looked over that pic. I’ll take some measurements tonight and see if I can’t draw something up in CAD for our Fab shop to cut for me. Thanks for the help. I’ll post up pics tomorrow if I can find time to get it drawn up.

Last edited:
Is it just the wood causing the problem? Here in Michigan you’re never supposed to bring wood with you, supposed to get it at your destination to stop the tree killing invasive species.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Well shit. I guess I looked over that pic. I’ll take some measurements tonight and see if I can’t draw something up in CAD for our Fab shop to cut for me. Thanks for the help. I’ll post up pics tomorrow if I can find time to get it drawn up.

There’s a link, above, with a video of it. I’ve considered something like that, for my trailer.

Top Bottom