help on tires and rims.. 3 issues in 3 outings - 3 for 3

jkjeepit

Still running my stock BFG mud terrian T/A's 255/75R17 and OEM rims..
2011 2DR Rubi D44's 4.10's Auto

First I always air down to 15
in the last 3 outings I am 3 for 3 in tire issues
First I partially lost a bead causing dirt and rocks to flatten my tire,, repaired.. Jeep On
second, Chiva Falls, I punctured the front passenger tire on the side wall...
got a 265/75R17 tire for a spare... Jeep on..
start looking at tires and rims...
today third outing in a row... Gordy's Hill NM punctured the front passenger tire on the side wall... again.. :icon_crazy:
and then I also tore about a 3" section of the outer rim bead off the rim off (outter lip or whatever one would call it)... tire bead stayed on and I got home..

OK, so I know the OEM rims are not made for rock crawling and they are beat up pretty bad.. but the two places I punctured the tire surprised me... as it didn't seem like the rocks should have punctured the tires... no problem rocks are rocks..
Now I am looking at getting new tires and rims and want a good off road tire that can hold up to these rocks and still be good on the high way

I have thought about going to 15" ?? Discount Tire Direct has a selection of rims they guaranty the fit.. but I don't find a tire that gets me to a close 34"
The tire I was looking at was the Nitto Trail Grappler size 285/75R17 which would give me close to a 34" or 1.7" bigger..
I am hesitant to go to a 35" since I feel I would need to put money into making the front suspension stronger.. which right now I can't do ... not enough $$$

does anyone have a setup they wheel hard with and are happy with as a highway tire also..
Rims and tires..

thanks for the input.
:clap2:

Last edited:

Dixon4x4

Still running my stock BFG mud terrian T/A's 255/75R17 and OEM rims..
2011 2DR Rubi D44's 4.10's Auto

First I always air down to 15
in the last 3 outings I am 3 for 3 in tire issues
First I partially lost a bead causing dirt and rocks to flatten my tire,, repaired.. Jeep On
second, Chiva Falls, I punctured the front passenger tire on the side wall...
got a 265/75R17 tire for a spare... Jeep on..
start looking at tires and rims...
today third outing in a row... Gordy's Hill NM punctured the front passenger tire on the side wall... again.. :icon_crazy:
and then I also tore about a 3" section of the outer rim bead off the rim off (outter lip or whatever one would call it)... tire bead stayed on and I got home..

OK, so I know the OEM rims are not made for rock crawling and they are beat up pretty bad.. but the two places I punctured the tire surprised me... as it didn't seem like the rocks should have punctured the tires... no problem rocks are rocks..
Now I am looking at getting new tires and rims and want a good off road tire that can hold up to these rocks and still be good on the high way

I have thought about going to 15" ?? Discount Tire Direct has a selection of rims they guaranty the fit.. but I don't find a tire that gets me to a close 34"
The tire I was looking at was the Nitto Trail Grappler size 285/75R17 which would give me close to a 34" or 1.7" bigger..
I am hesitant to go to a 35" since I feel I would need to put money into making the front suspension stronger.. which right now I can't do ... not enough $$$

does anyone have a setup they wheel hard with and are happy with as a highway tire also..
Rims and tires..

thanks for the input.
:clap2:

I have been running cheap MB Wheels from Discount Tire with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks for two years now with no issues. I have been on sharp shale, quartz, sand, mud and cars with them. Never had a flat and they are great on the highway.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You don't have to do anything more to run a 35" then a 34". In fact a lot of 35's measure closer to a 34" anyway.

I would run 17's personally but to each there own.

Top Bottom