Track bar bushing going bad?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hi, all
I’ve been having an intermittent shimmy for couple weeks now that I’ve been trying to pin pint. I rebalanced tires twice, no play in tie rod ends on steering links, control arm bushings are looking good. They only play I can really see Is the track bar bushing on the axle side. I don’t know if that is normal or is it staring to go bad.
https://youtu.be/GuvfUmDV1_Y

It doesn’t look damaged
IMG_6167.jpg

No side to side movement on frame side track bar bushing. Only movement on frame side track bar bushing is rotational, with axle side removed.
https://youtu.be/9QBj0y_VhdU

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, a shimmy is a far cry from death wobble and if it's speed related, it's almost always a tire balance issue. Big off road tires can be very difficult to balance and it's not uncommon to require 2-3 times before they get it right. Road force balancing helps out a lot if it's available to you.

Second, looking at that pic, the bushing looks fine. Hard to say for sure on the video but the bushing is rubber and it is normal to see some push and pull in it.

WJCO

Meme King
We just put a new Mopar track bar on ours, and even torqued down, that axle bushing moves that exact amount. So you can eliminate that.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
First off, a shimmy is a far cry from death wobble and if it's speed related, it's almost always a tire balance issue. Big off road tires can be very difficult to balance and it's not uncommon to require 2-3 times before they get it right. Road force balancing helps out a lot if it's available to you.

Second, looking at that pic, the bushing looks fine. Hard to say for sure on the video but the bushing is rubber and it is normal to see some push and pull in it.

We just put a new Mopar track bar on ours, and even torqued down, that axle bushing moves that exact amount. So you can eliminate that.

I think Eddie is right and my shimmy is caused by improper balancing. It all started after rotation and balancing. When they did it, I was told that one wheel was out a little bit and they corrected it, that was few weeks ago. I just went back last week, all weights were removed and it was rebalanced fresh but still have the same annoying intermittent shimmy. It can’t be anything in steering nor ball joints (ProSteers) because all these components are only few months old. Everything else is torqued down and double checked. I think I’ll just swallow the bullet and get the road force done. I did it once before, it’s not the cheapest. Last time I wanted to get road force done I was advised not to since I wouldn’t benefit from it as much as sports car would, everything was fine till recent rotation.

JKbrick

Probably that new steering box, better trade me for my stock one and see if it goes away. If that doesn’t work I’ll trade you tie rods, that should fix it

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m constantly chasing a little bit of a shimmy on mine as well at 45-50 mph and balancing solved it. Like Eddie said, it took me 2+ times to get mine smoothed out and that was the second I’ve gone through this process after a rotation. Discount’s been great about it and have stated that it is normal on these big tires to have to do it multiple times. I haven’t had mine road forced balanced and was told the same thing that it is meant more for sports car tires.

jeeeep

Hooked
I usually get a little shimmy after a tire rotation and takes a couple of tries to get them right.

Now I tell them I drive up to 80mph and they get the balance better the 1st time.

Every once in awhile the shimmy returns and I chalk that up to lost weights or the tire wear.

Top Bottom