35 spline ARB rear locker install issues

desertrunner

So I'm finally getting the rear locker and gears installed from my trail leader package order. The shop called me with an issue saying I have a locker for the wrong gear ratio and that the ring gear bolts won't fit into the locker.

I told them that due the D44 rear having a thick ring gear it needs to be the 3.92 and down carrier even though I'm getting 4.88s so the real issue is the ring gear bolts are too big to fit the locker.

I called dynatrac and they quickly told me that typically you have to drill the holes of the locker bigger to make the ring gear bolts fit.... makes sense. The shop didn't like that answer too much though saying that ARB won't warranty the locker if they do that. So has anyone else had to drill the locker holes bigger with the 35 spline rear ARB? I would imagine so with how dynatrac answered it so quickly/ should I be worried at all about the possibility of ARB not warranting the locker or just tell the shop to drill the holes bigger and go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Contact ARB so you have it in writing, but yes they will tell you the same thing Dynatrac did. IIRC, you have to drill the locker bores from 3/8" to 7/16" for the JK ring gear bolts. Also, I bet you could quickly find the ARB instructions online in PDF format and it will mention that (assuming your shop doesn't have the paper copy that came in the box). What locker model number do you have?

Last edited:

desertrunner

Haha awesome thanks for the picture, ARB told me the same thing like uh.... it's in the instructions...
Guess the shop missed that or just stopped when they saw 3.92 and down gear ratio.

Appreciate the help!!!

WJCO

Meme King
Haha awesome thanks for the picture, ARB told me the same thing like uh.... it's in the instructions...
Guess the shop missed that or just stopped when they saw 3.92 and down gear ratio.

Appreciate the help!!!

No problem. I'll be honest, when Dynatrac shipped my PR, they left the ARB instructions in the crate. Right on the front page of the manual, it had the '3.73 and down carrier' and it scared the shit out of me. After contacting Dynatrac, they informed me why it was the correct carrier. So I can see where that may have puzzled the shop. Still, sounds like your shop should read through all the instructions to make sure they do everything correctly before they dive into it.

desertrunner

No problem. I'll be honest, when Dynatrac shipped my PR, they left the ARB instructions in the crate. Right on the front page of the manual, it had the '3.73 and down carrier' and it scared the shit out of me. After contacting Dynatrac, they informed me why it was the correct carrier. So I can see where that may have puzzled the shop. Still, sounds like your shop should read through all the instructions to make sure they do everything correctly before they dive into it.
Yeah I remember reading when doing the research that the D44 has a thick ring gear and that's why the carrier is for the smaller gears so I at least knew that part but I did not know the hole drilling part. And yeah I agree they should read the instructions however they are an ARB dealer so I doubt they read those anymore haha (still not a good excuse).
The locker box was still sealed when I brought it in so I assume the instructions were in there and not in the crate but maybe that's my bad too if I left those at home

desertrunner

And when I called ARB they said that the D44 uses 3 different size ring gear bolts and they just give you the smallest hole to start, which makes total sense and why the instructions reflect that

Top Bottom