intermittent squeaking at low speeds

14JK-U

before I installed my lift and 35s I was getting a slight squeaking while in drive, only when moving. and only audible at low speeds (up to about 10 mph) its quiet enough that I can't get a good video recording of the sound but it's deffinately there (my wife finally heard it yesterday). now that the 35s are on it happens almost every time but only once the jeep has been moving and is warmed up, a cold start and quick drive wont trigger it. I'm leaning towards the unit bearing failing, anyone have any experience with needing to replace yours? and if so did it make a noise that let you know it was that?

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Sounds like it’s probably a unit bearing. I replaced mine a couple of times on my last jk. Easy job and Eddies done a great write up on it if that turns out to be the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

14JK-U

Sounds like it’s probably a unit bearing. I replaced mine a couple of times on my last jk. Easy job and Eddies done a great write up on it if that turns out to be the culprit.

just read through the write up eddie did and clicked on the link he provided for the assembly, everyone's reviews state that the speed sensor is to short. apparently they changed the length on the pentastar models? anyone know which one the 2012+ models need? or is there a way to reuse my old sensor wiring? can't seem to find the "correct" assembly for anything post 2012

Last edited:

RedRocker

If the rotational noise happens with each revolution of the wheel it is probably a unit bearing. If it is rotational and multiple times faster than the wheel rotation it is probably a driveshaft u-joint or double cardon joint that needs greasing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

14JK-U

If the rotational noise happens with each revolution of the wheel it is probably a unit bearing. If it is rotational and multiple times faster than the wheel rotation it is probably a driveshaft u-joint or double cardon joint that needs greasing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app
It's once every wheel rotation so leaning towards the unit needung replaced. Now to find out which wheel it is and where to find the correct part

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

14JK-U

Did you determine if it were front or rear? If it’s the rear, a slightly bent flange can make the same rotational sound at lower speeds.

I have not determined that for sure. I'm trying to stick my head out the window and listen, the one thing I have determined is it's not driver rear, makes it hard when it's very intermittent and the wife is out of town to help out. Pretty sure it's passenger front but these jeeps like to trick us with these noises

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have not determined that for sure. I'm trying to stick my head out the window and listen, the one thing I have determined is it's not driver rear, makes it hard when it's very intermittent and the wife is out of town to help out. Pretty sure it's passenger front but these jeeps like to trick us with these noises

They do. Total PITA! Another person driving helps, then sit in the back and stick your head out the window. My kids and dogs it down pat, but they are useless for information!

Top Bottom