Vibration after hitting bump...help!

Kpalas

Hey everyone, looking for some help on a problem I’m having with my jeep. ( sorry for the lengthy explanation) I have a 2014 JKU, rock jock 60’s front and rear, rear is a full float, atlas 4.3 trans case, fox coil overs, synergy arms and brackets, 40” MTR Kevlars on raceline beadlocks. Driveline with 1350 u joints made by a shop in Sacramento. Here’s the issue: I was on highway 80 in Sacramento and as I transitioned onto highway 99 I hit a pretty good dip/bump in the road. I immediately felt a strong vibration coming from what I think is the back half of the jeep. (Up to this point this has never happened) I pulled over, visually inspected underneath, nothing obvious. Got back on highway, kinda babied it home. A few days later, I drove it to work, after driving for about 20 mins, every significant bump, vibration starts again. Pull over, come to a complete stop, then take off, hit a bump, vibration starts. The vibration doesn’t stop until I come to complete stop. This seems to only happen after I’ve been driving for awhile, and it’s intermittent. It seems to me that it has to be driveline/u joint related but I’m not sure. Can it be in the rear axle or transfer case? I’m not a mechanic so I’m hoping someone here with more knowledge can give me a idea where to look or what to look for. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kpalas

Ok. It’s weird, I can get in it when it’s cold, like in the morning, drive a few miles in town, go to store, stuff like that, and nothing. Only after driving continually for awhile then it does it, like something has to heat up.

WJCO

Meme King
See if it happens only when accelerating or decelerating. If you put it into neutral and vibration goes away, it's likely an axle or driveline issue. If it's still there, it's related to tires or wheel bearings.

Kpalas

Ya I forgot to add that, the last time it happened I put it in neutral, vibration was still there, then I put the atlas in neutral also, and it still did it until I came to stop.

Kpalas

Nope. There was really no need to, they were smooth from the start. Of course they do have wear on them now. But if it was a tire issue, wouldn’t the vibration be constant?

Xhisors

Nope. There was really no need to, they were smooth from the start. Of course they do have wear on them now. But if it was a tire issue, wouldn’t the vibration be constant?

Not necessarily. My buddy had a vibration issue between 30 and 60 mph only due to an imballanced wheel. Its more common than one may think.

So certain conditions could cause it. While others may not.

Top Bottom