Is 4wheelparts gonna F@&$ me?

MobyJR

What's this I hear about charging 650 dollars to mount and balance tires? Due to the TPMS? Why can't I just rip that shit out, and remain competent enough to maintain my own tire pressure without a computer? How much was it to mount and balance your tires?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
They're charging you $650 to mount and balance tires? Or does that include new TPMS sensors? Either way its too much. Go to Discount tire. You don't need TPMS either. If you get a tuner you can override it to to turn the dash light off.

GCM 2

Yes, you are being raped at that price. I think you need to visit any place but 4wheelparts if thats their fee. Personally I only use Discount Tire.

Prime8

Yes, you are being raped at that price. I think you need to visit any place but 4wheelparts if thats their fee. Personally I only use Discount Tire.

X2 on discount tire. Best prices, interest free financing with their card, and you can't beat the replacement certificates.

MobyJR

I just heard a story from a friend, I'm not sure if that's what they'll do to me here. but apparently that's what they tried to charge him. I'm in TN and I SERIOUSLY doubt they could get away with that travesty out here. But I'll be going back to CA in a few months. Does anyone know if TPMS is required there?
I'd like to just ditch it all together if I can.

Oh and don't worry, I know a F$&&ing when I see it. I won't be spending what it would take to get my YJ running, on stupid TPMS.

FrankenJeeper

I agree on going to discount tire. Another thing to consider is go to a local tech school, my tech school usually does stuff like mounting tires for free, regardless if you have tpms or not

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MobyJR

Thanks guys. Personally, my character and morals alone wouldn't allow me to rape some fellow offroader/jeeper like that. I don't know how they do business if what my friend claims is true.

Serg5000

I used ProCal to get rid of that annoying light on the dash. I removed the TPMS's after seeing one get sheered off by a rock when we were on a trail. Sucked to have to change the tire in mud. That was enough to convince me to get rid of them.

As far as getting your tires taken care of. The most I have paid is $80.00. Although 4wheel parts may be good for some things. Tire service isn't one of them. Don't spend $600+ on that. Take the advice of your fellow Jeepers here and go to Discount Tire.

Last edited:

JKBANDIT55

I just got my 315 70 17 Duratracs mounted at discount tire and they even installed my Wheel Spacers!!! They charged me 1400 for everything. He also did mention that a new law had just passed in the US to require and install TPMS sensors in all vehicles. Or something like that, I wasn't really paying attention as I was watching them install the tires through the window.

Also 4wheelparts does not charge that much to install tires. I was going to get mine from there and got a quote for 1410$ but they didnt have them in stock.

Maybe your friend was just shootin a shit when he told you this.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Someone recently posted about TPMS now being required and enforced by state law. Washington maybe? Not sure about California. But for just mounting and balancing I wouldn't pay more than ~$100. 👍

JKBANDIT55

Someone recently posted about TPMS now being required and enforced by state law. Washington maybe? Not sure about California. But for just mounting and balancing I wouldn't pay more than ~$100. 

I think this law is enforced in all of US. The guy at discount told me about it a few weeks ago when I got the duratracs installed:idontknow:

TheDuff

Hmmmm, that sounds like BS and if they did pass a law like that it is most likely just forcing the manufacturers to equip all new vehicle with it. The tire shop I just had mount my tires had no problem removing my tpms units at my request. The tech mentioned I would get a light, I said no problem, that's what this super chips pos is for:D
I'm not gonna worry about it, even at smog time. if they wanna add that on as part of the inspection, go ahead, the light isn't on, the computer thinks my tire preasure is correct:p
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

DanMojo82

I payed $250 to get mine mounted an balanced, thats because they charge more for "specialty tires" and I had them use the balance beads. I felt like i got overcharged with that price. I would have told them to piss off at $650. If you have bead locks you probably can mount them yourself. I know a lot of bead locks you can, and I'm not sure about the ATX slabs, but I don't imagine it being that difficult. Then as far as balancing goes, get the beads, drop them in and your done. Never have to worry about losing the weights on your tire or having to re-balance due to you missing chunks of tread. :thumb:

Last edited:

GCM 2

To cover down on a few that questioned if Discount Tire will mount tires to ATX Slabs (or any other beadlock).....that would be a big NO. Two choice to get tires mounted on beadlocks- 1) find a "true" Offroad shop to do it. 2) do it yourself, maybe with a friend. There are tons of YouTube video instructionals on how to do it. It's not that hard and then you get to brag about it to family, friends and all of us Internet wheeling professional ninjas :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
To cover down on a few that questioned if Discount Tire will mount tires to ATX Slabs (or any other beadlock).....that would be a big NO. Two choice to get tires mounted on beadlocks- 1) find a "true" Offroad shop to do it. 2) do it yourself, maybe with a friend. There are tons of YouTube video instructionals on how to do it. It's not that hard and then you get to brag about it to family, friends and all of us Internet wheeling professional ninjas :thumb:

Hmmm? I see your post count is now over 1000. Maybe I'll start listening to what you have to say? ;)

Top Bottom