Android Auto in a 2014 Wrangler

SoupierPuppy

For quite some time now I have been debating about using android auto in my 2014 Wrangler. What originally attracted me to Android Auto is that head units could connect to OBDII, download maps and music, connect to bluetooth for phone calls, etc. Recently in my typical DIY fashion I saw the bluetooth based relay system form Trigger and Im thinking about doing this myself. My general idea is that using an android auto head unit and a bluetooth enabled arduino or raspberry pi I could run a relay panel from the head unit without having to run a bunch of extra wires through the firewall for interior switches. Currently I have the most basic Jeep head unit (no backup camera, no touch screen, no bluetooth) so adding some of these will be nice but they are not a necessity as I wont be losing any of these features.

So my question is: Has anyone had experience with Android Auto and its capabilities/limitations? Does anyone have recommendations for dash kits and head units? Would this be possible with a straight tablet in the dash if I dont care about AM/FM radio? Hopefully once I figure this out I can do a nice write-up and help other people do AA + Bluetooth relay installs.

J

JKDream

I have a Sony XAV AX100. It's cheap, responsive, and sound was vastly improved. I personally wouldn't try to jimmyrig something in there as you described. As for Android Auto, I'm a huge fan of it. The voice response is surprisingly accurate and maps are updated from your phone. You can still use your phone while plugged in as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SoupierPuppy

Does that style of android auto (For the Sony AX100) allow you to use other apps other than maps and music? Im thinking I will need to write an app for the bluetooth relay controller.

How does that Sony look when installed? Ive been looking at a Siecane that comes with a dash kit and has full android 7.1.1. Its quite a bit more expensive but if the cheaper head unit can run other apps I may go the cheaper route.

J

JKDream

Does that style of android auto (For the Sony AX100) allow you to use other apps other than maps and music? Im thinking I will need to write an app for the bluetooth relay controller.

How does that Sony look when installed? Ive been looking at a Siecane that comes with a dash kit and has full android 7.1.1. Its quite a bit more expensive but if the cheaper head unit can run other apps I may go the cheaper route.

None of them allow other apps, unless they're running Android as a main operating system.
Android Auto is just an overlay. You have access to phone, text, maps, music (multiple apps) etc.
I'm not really sure why you'd need anything more than that as the phone is still accessible.
The Amazon Android ones looked cool on paper, I considered them before the Sony.
But quite frankly 9/10 have shit sound quality, and they don't work properly with the factory integration.

SoupierPuppy

JKDream, The reason I want other apps is so I can write an app that will control a bluetooth enabled relay setup, as well as assorted OBDII functions. The bluetooth enabled relay setup is really the big piece that I want extra from regular Android Auto. I certainly want the music and maps and call functions, but part of this is also the DIY project that I'm trying to integrate.

J

JKDream

JKDream, The reason I want other apps is so I can write an app that will control a bluetooth enabled relay setup, as well as assorted OBDII functions. The bluetooth enabled relay setup is really the big piece that I want extra from regular Android Auto. I certainly want the music and maps and call functions, but part of this is also the DIY project that I'm trying to integrate.
Could you go into more detail as to what Bluetooth features you're trying to control? Most might be covered with voice command anyway. IIRC the Sony has a wire for the obd port for all of those functions as do most brand name decks do now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom