Leaking T-case, need advice

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hi all,
I am a leaving for a road trip to Arizona on Saturday the 30th. I was doing some before trip maintenance today.
While greasing the driveshaft, I noticed a little red drop sitting on my tcase skid and, damn I have leak....
At first I though it was coming from the driveshaft flange where it meets the tcase. But after closer inspection it looks like it’s coming form where shifter engages.
IMG_1106.jpg
I can see traces of red fluid behind the little angle/flange where it enters the tcase.
IMG_1107.jpg
IMG_1107.jpeg
Also when I grab that little flange, it moves in and out slightly with the bolt, it feels like something I loose on the inside. I couldn’t get a key in there to try tighten that bolt because the drive shaft flange is in the way. I did manage to grab the bolt with a pair of channel locks and it seems to be on there tight.
Also checked the fluid level, it’s still up to the plug.

Did anybody have a leak in that spot?

Most importantly is it ok to take the Jeep for a 2500 mile road trip, and deal with it when I come back?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Ours is doing that too, but the leak starts higher up and leaks onto that shifter nut. I can't find the source. See this thread: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/44958-Tcase-leak-shifter-seal.

We've taken 3 long road trips with no issues. I've checked the fluid Everytime and it's nearly full. I carry fluid regardless, but no other issues so far.

Thanks for the link, it does looks like a total pain in the ass. I think I’ll just leave it be and deal with it later, when I come back. I have 2 quarts of ATF+4 to bring with me.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The worst case scenarios that it blows up and you have an excuse to get an atlas! All kidding aside, had a similar issue on my H3 and as much as I hate saying it, I ran it like that for more than a year. It was a a small drip leak near the top of the casing. Watch the fluid and get it fixed when you have time.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
The worst case scenarios that it blows up and you have an excuse to get an atlas! All kidding aside, had a similar issue on my H3 and as much as I hate saying it, I ran it like that for more than a year. It was a a small drip leak near the top of the casing. Watch the fluid and get it fixed when you have time.

Thanks bud, I just wanted few people to tell me it should be ok, I kind of freaked out for a minute when I first saw it. I hope it will all be good 🤞

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the link, it does looks like a total pain in the ass. I think I’ll just leave it be and deal with it later, when I come back. I have 2 quarts of ATF+4 to bring with me.

If you haven't already thought of it, make sure you have a way to get the fluid in the tcase (if you have to) like a pump or gear oil caps for your quart bottles.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
If you haven't already thought of it, make sure you have a way to get the fluid in the tcase (if you have to) like a pump or gear oil caps for your quart bottles.

I did save those after seeing you some other member post about saving them form gear oil [emoji108] Thanks for the reminder though I probably would have left the in the garage.

Top Bottom