Spyderlock Wheels - Powder Coat Wheels or keep as is?

MAG00

I just got a new set of Spyderlock wheels in machined aluminum. I am torn on whether to keep them as machined aluminum or to have the wheel powder coated black and leave the ring as machined aluminum. My rig is a biller silver '13 JKU with black bumpers, rock rails, and factory fenders.

Thoughts, opinions,...?

MAG00

It's all preference, whatever you choose will look great. Congrats on the new wheels[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am sure I'll like the black wheel with silver ring. Just trying to decide of the all machined aluminum would be something "different" plus the expense of getting them powder coated. I am putting in Currie VXR60s with hydro assist so the pocket book is pretty thin right now. Also, I know it wold b a lot easier to do it now rather than having to take the wheels apart and have my rig down for several days.

I know everyone is different, but what is your opinion on which finish?

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Regardless which way you go. I’d make sure your ring stays raw. I’ve got a black ring and after the first time wheeling it they’re all scratched up. Unless you like that look (which I admit I do) it’ll drive you crazy.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
My last set of beadlocks were powder coated black and I really liked them. I have a set of machined now, and I also think they look great. I might powdercoat them down the road. Idk..

zimm

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't powder coat cast wheels, the heat can affect them from what I've read. For the rings, leave 'em raw or spray paint for easy touch up. I clear coated mine and now they are too shiny where the rocks haven't hit them yet. Now I'm thinking about sanding or scotchbrite pads to dull them down a bit.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I powder coated my chamber pros. Black for the wheel and “gun metal” silver for the rings. No catastrophic failures from heat yet. Yes the rings get scratched but that’s to be expected.

By the way, my powder coat guy recommended against a lighter, more traditional silver for the rings because according to him it would start to yellow over time. Hence the gun metal.

IMG_9159.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom