Replacing Headers with OEM Exhaust Manifolds

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
As several members told me about a year and a half ago...you will have exhaust leaks, higher engine temps, bolts will loosen and spark wires will be burnt IF you install headers. All of these things have now happened to me since I installed my JBA headers except burnt spark plug wires. That happened today now that my exhaust wrap has began to fail on my drivers side.
0E729345-B7A2-4948-87E0-D1F59FDF7640.jpg 342FAA8A-99EC-4AAC-9E08-70831A0F4DFD.jpg
You can see in the picture that I had to zip tie the partially burnt spark plug wire up away from the manifold so that I could drive my rig home. I have a spare wire but I need to fix the source of the problem.

So I’m going back to OEM Exhaust manifolds. Aside from sharing my header experience with other members, I need some advice on which OEM manifolds to buy. I know that may sound strange, but there are two listed on MOPAR parts online (for both the right and left sides):
Right side: 4666026AC - $90.71 or 4666026AA - $25.13
Left side: 4666024AF - $90.71 or 4666024AB - $29.99
I tried to call them but it is after hours on the east coast (5PM).

Anyone that can tell me the difference? I would prefer to pay the lower amount if they are the same parts. BUT if the higher priced manifolds come with the heat shields and fasteners, then I would buy them because I threw all of the OEM stuff away because the JBA kit came with its own hardware minus the heat shields.

Thanks!

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As several members told me about a year and a half ago...you will have exhaust leaks, higher engine temps, bolts will loosen and spark wires will be burnt IF you install headers. All of these things have now happened to me since I installed my JBA headers except burnt spark plug wires. That happened today now that my exhaust wrap has began to fail on my drivers side.
View attachment 287882 View attachment 287883
You can see in the picture that I had to zip tie the partially burnt spark plug wire up away from the manifold so that I could drive my rig home. I have a spare wire but I need to fix the source of the problem.

So I’m going back to OEM Exhaust manifolds. Aside from sharing my header experience with other members, I need some advice on which OEM manifolds to buy. I know that may sound strange, but there are two listed on MOPAR parts online (for both the right and left sides):
Right side: 4666026AC - $90.71 or 4666026AA - $25.13
Left side: 4666024AF - $90.71 or 4666024AB - $29.99
I tried to call them but it is after hours on the east coast (5PM).

Anyone that can tell me the difference? I would prefer to pay the lower amount if they are the same parts. BUT if the higher priced manifolds come with the heat shields and fasteners, then I would buy them because I threw all of the OEM stuff away because the JBA kit came with its own hardware minus the heat shields.

Thanks!

Pretty sure the AC and AF come with gaskets, hardware, manifold and heat shields. The other is just the manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Sucks to hear but not surprised. I've tuned and modded several cars and really feel headers are ideal for vehicles that spend a majority of their time racing and on the track, not a street vehicle or trail vehicle. Good luck with whichever manifolds you go with.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys!

BABOOZLE I’m glad I could help.

I’m going to hold off on ordering and give them a call on Tuesday to verify the difference. What you said Overlander makes sense. They won’t fill the order and send it out until Tuesday morning due to the holiday so I’m not really loosing any time by waiting.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I just got off the phone with the MOPAR Parts Online tech. The cheaper / older manifold parts have been discontinued. I would think they would be removed from their system but they haven’t been. Even better the tech did a complete inventory search (including all Alabama dealerships) and no Exhaust Manifolds are available. MOPAR currently has a 3 month back order on them. So that sucks.

I know some people have gone with Crown’s cast iron Manifolds but I’ve heard there are figment issues. Does anyone have any experience with them?

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Has anyone had experience with Dorman, Crown or APDTY headers? I’m reading mixed reviews on Amazon and a few other places.

I can only find one vendor that sells the right side OEM exhaust manifold for nearly double the going rate...the MOPAR dealers have all told me that side is on back order with 91 customers in line for when they come available. Argh!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the crown exhaust manifolds on my jeep. They are essentially the mopar manifolds and half the price. I think I got both sides and gaskets from Quadratec last summer for about $80

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Has anyone had experience with Dorman, Crown or APDTY headers? I’m reading mixed reviews on Amazon and a few other places.

I can only find one vendor that sells the right side OEM exhaust manifold for nearly double the going rate...the MOPAR dealers have all told me that side is on back order with 91 customers in line for when they come available. Argh!
Doorman are an exact OE equivalent as well and should only run you like 60 per side.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I just got off the phone with the MOPAR Parts Online tech. The cheaper / older manifold parts have been discontinued. I would think they would be removed from their system but they haven’t been. Even better the tech did a complete inventory search (including all Alabama dealerships) and no Exhaust Manifolds are available. MOPAR currently has a 3 month back order on them. So that sucks.

I know some people have gone with Crown’s cast iron Manifolds but I’ve heard there are figment issues. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I exchanged 3 of the Crown manifolds before buying Mopar, the castings were inconsistent on each of the Crown units compared to the stock units I had removed.

I never installed them so I can't say how they would've actually worked once on the engine.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Just curious, did you notice any actual power gains with the headers?

I couldn’t honestly tell if I got any performance gains. I did not dyno before or after I installed them. The JBA headers are quality built products but I can’t keep on tightening them and I don’t want to replace the exhaust wrap again.

Thank you for the advice guys on the aftermarket Manifolds. I would prefer to go back to OEM but the non-availability really stinks right now. I’m on the fence between the Crown and Dorman Manifolds.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I couldn’t honestly tell if I got any performance gains. I did not dyno before or after I installed them. The JBA headers are quality built products but I can’t keep on tightening them and I don’t want to replace the exhaust wrap again.

Thank you for the advice guys on the aftermarket Manifolds. I would prefer to go back to OEM but the non-availability really stinks right now. I’m on the fence between the Crown and Dorman Manifolds.

Crown is the oem moapr headers. The dorman are aftermarket which meet oem specs. Your not going to go wrong with either. Just go for the cheaper one.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Crown is the oem moapr headers. The dorman are aftermarket which meet oem specs. Your not going to go wrong with either. Just go for the cheaper one.

Thanks! I ordered the Dorman Manifolds.

I’m looking forward to having a reliable exhaust system again.

-Matt

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Dorman Exhaust Manifolds installed

I finished installing the Dorman Exhaust Manifolds yesterday. So far I’m pleased with their performance.after about 80 miles on the pavement.

Here are a few install pictures:
D1909655-BCB1-44A2-B65F-05E28A462ED3.jpg
The Dorman manifold kits do not come with the manifold to engine block bolts, but their instructions say that you should replace them...:thinking:

72DF7E49-15DA-4774-8CC4-9E01D8AB9C9E.jpg
The JBA headers’ had exhaust ports that were about the same size as the OEM manifold. These Dorman headers are not as big and I believe will affect performance at least slightly.

EF74F422-861B-4793-90AC-4D99CF43D4BD.jpg
After replacing the driver side manifold, I installed a new OEM #6 spark plug wire because he old one was burnt through.

9D9CFB06-6F73-4D96-B1D1-66D0A5044AE2.jpg
The collector bolt configuration to the catalytic converter is pictured here because it is different from the JBA headers and from what I remember the ORM header set-up.

I’ll report back if I end up having any issues with these Dorman Manifolds.

-Matt

WJCO

Meme King
I finished installing the Dorman Exhaust Manifolds yesterday. So far I’m pleased with their performance.after about 80 miles on the pavement.
.....I’ll report back if I end up having any issues with these Dorman Manifolds.

-Matt

How long did it take you? We have to do ours at some point. Also, did you end up getting new bolts and where from?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Nice work. I replaced the driver side with a dorman one some time ago and it's held up fine so far. I need to do the passenger side but it looks like a lot harder to get to. WJCO, I got new manifold bolts from my local dealer. They come with a little thread locker on them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom