Ideal camber for 4 dr JK with 4" lift

SHHHWAY

Ideal caster for 4 dr JK with 4" lift

Thoughts? I have SYNERGY adjustable upper and lower short arms just need to know where to set the caster. Rides pretty good but I am sure it could track better. 37/13.50 Toyo MT's running at 26 psi

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Camber is not adjustable on the JK. I assume you mean caster. Stock is 4.2 degrees. You’re going to have a tough time getting that with a 4 inch lift. If you get drive line vibrations you will need to reduce caster. Maybe shoot for 3 or 3.5 degrees.

SHHHWAY

Camber is not adjustable on the JK. I assume you mean caster. Stock is 4.2 degrees. You’re going to have a tough time getting that with a 4 inch lift. If you get drive line vibrations you will need to reduce caster. Maybe shoot for 3 or 3.5 degrees.

Yep,,, caster NOT camber. I may shoot for 3.5 and see how she does. Have the aftermarket RC front driveline.

fiend

Caught the Bug

Yep,,, caster NOT camber. I may shoot for 3.5 and see how she does. Have the aftermarket RC front driveline.

Should be doable. I ran 37s on a 4” Synergy lift on the stock axle and an aftermarket DC diveshaft for a couple of years with no driveline vibrations and acceptable tracking. Caster was some where between 3 and 3.5 as I recall.

kawimoto

Should be doable. I ran 37s on a 4” Synergy lift on the stock axle and an aftermarket DC diveshaft for a couple of years with no driveline vibrations and acceptable tracking. Caster was some where between 3 and 3.5 as I recall.

Same. Before the pr44 anyway. tracked straight then as well though.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would not go for any less than Factory 4.2* of caster. Less caster will actually make the jeep feel more flighty. If anything slightly more caster around 5* will make it feel tighter and still reduce driveline vibes. Just do the best you can to get it close to stock

J

JKDream

I would not go for any less than Factory 4.2* of caster. Less caster will actually make the jeep feel more flighty. If anything slightly more caster around 5* will make it feel tighter and still reduce driveline vibes. Just do the best you can to get it close to stock

Uh, no.
He isn't running a prorock, there is only six degrees of separation.
That leaves less than one degree of pinion angle based on your recommendation, that's not an ideal setup.
3-3.5 may be all that you can achieve on a factory housing with that much lift, and honestly it should drive fine with that.

WJCO

Meme King
OP said he has adjustable arms. I would think he could set the caster to any number he wishes to obtain.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yup, this ^^^^. Anything less than +4° and your Jeep will feel flighty.

OP said he has adjustable arms. I would think he could set the caster to any number he wishes to obtain.

This as well ^^^^

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Uh, no.
He isn't running a prorock, there is only six degrees of separation.
That leaves less than one degree of pinion angle based on your recommendation, that's not an ideal setup.
3-3.5 may be all that you can achieve on a factory housing with that much lift, and honestly it should drive fine with that.

Just cause he isn’t running a pro rock it doesn’t change where the caster angle should be. A stock axle or even a pr44 WITHOUT the built in 6* of caster they provide should be set as close to factory as possible. With caster the closer you get to 0* the flightier the steering will be. Father away and it will get tighter. Just gotta get a close to Factory as possible or slightly more towards 5*

fiend

Caught the Bug

If he can get 4 degrees or more without driveline vibrations then he should do that. If he gets driveline vibrations at 4 degrees then he needs to try less caster or live with the vibrations.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If he can get 4 degrees or more without driveline vibrations then he should do that. If he gets driveline vibrations at 4 degrees then he needs to try less caster or live with the vibrations.

Sorry but I don't agree. If he gets drive line vibrations at 4°, his drive shaft is out of balance.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sorry but I don't agree. If he gets drive line vibrations at 4°, his drive shaft is out of balance.

In one of his posts he says he has an aftermarket “RC” drive shaft. I assumed that was a typo and he meant DC, as in double cardan. From what I have read, recommended set up for those to avoid vibrations is to have the pinion pointing in line with the shaft. With a 4” lift and a stock housing, I think it likely he’ll have to reduce caster below 4 degrees to achieve that. At least, I did with mine. We are in vehement agreement that, if he can get 4 or more degrees of caster with no driveline vibrations, then he should do that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In one of his posts he says he has an aftermarket “RC” drive shaft. I assumed that was a typo and he meant DC, as in double cardan. From what I have read, recommended set up for those to avoid vibrations is to have the pinion pointing in line with the shaft. With a 4” lift and a stock housing, I think it likely he’ll have to reduce caster below 4 degrees to achieve that. At least, I did with mine. We are in vehement agreement that, if he can get 4 or more degrees of caster with no driveline vibrations, then he should do that.

I disagree again. On a rear end, it is necessary to have you pinion in line with your drive shaft IF it is a double cardan and this is needed to prevent drive line vibrations. However, on a front shaft, it is necessary to have caster take precedence for proper handling. Unlike you, I don't need to "read" anything to know that 4" of lift on a factory axle and with a double cardan shaft can be run with 4° of caster and with NO vibrations. I have personally run 4.5" of lift with this setup and had ZERO vibrations. The higher the gear ratio, the higher the odds that you will feel an unbalanced shaft. If you had vibrations, your drive shaft was out of balance, it's just that simple.

WJCO

Meme King

Ideally what you're describing with the pinion pointing to the driveshaft would be nice, but it will compromise your caster as Eddie stated. This is why Dynatrac builds the additional caster into the axle so you can have your cake and eat it too.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Ideally what you're describing with the pinion pointing to the driveshaft would be nice, but it will compromise your caster as Eddie stated. This is why Dynatrac builds the additional caster into the axle so you can have your cake and eat it too.

Agreed. But the OP doesn’t have the additional caster to work with. Hence the need to strike the balance between stability and absence of vibrations.

But according to Eddie, no balance needs to be struck and no compromises are needed because the OP can get both 4 degrees of caster and no vibrations. So that’s good news for the OP.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. But the OP doesn’t have the additional caster to work with. Hence the need to strike the balance between stability and absence of vibrations.

But according to Eddie, no balance needs to be struck and no compromises are needed because the OP can get both 4 degrees of caster and no vibrations. So that’s good news for the OP.

LOL!! I see you run a Woods shaft. Makes all the sense in the world to me now.

I have NEVER seen an instance where LESS caster has ever been recommended by an auto manufacturer, manufacturer of axles or even an alignment shop - PERIOD. If anything, MORE caster is what some purposefully build in for better handling but that's about it. Too much caster and your vehicle will drive straight as an arrow but steering can be harder and your odds of getting drive line vibrations greater. LESS than factory and your vehicle will be flighty and handle like shit. Just because you're getting vibrations at factory caster does NOT mean you need to reduce it - it means YOU HAVE A DRIVE SHAFT THAT ISN'T BALANCED.

But hey, what would I know.

Top Bottom