ARB, sPod, CO2 ideas and options.

MAG00

With installing new axles with lockers on my '13 JKU I will end up with front and rear ARB lockers and they will come with the basic compressor.

I had been looking at upgrading the compressor to the ARB twin package deal (compressor, mount, hoses, inflation gauge, etc.). With looking at the price of the ARB twin package I have begun to really contemplate a couple of options if I look at spending that amount.

Option A: Buy the ARB twin package.

Option B: Buy a new 8 switch sPod as mine is only 6 and I currently use 4. With adding the compressor with front/rear lockers I would end up with 7 switches. With this option, I could transfer my current 6 switch model over to my Dad's JK. I could also look at just using the ARB unit that is coming with the axles and look at CO2 for tires. The CO2 would have the advantage of being portable.

Thoughts/opinion on this? Which option and why?

Also, if looking at getting an 8 switch sPod would you go with switched panel or the touch screen? Which one and why?

J

JKDream

With installing new axles with lockers on my '13 JKU I will end up with front and rear ARB lockers and they will come with the basic compressor.

I had been looking at upgrading the compressor to the ARB twin package deal (compressor, mount, hoses, inflation gauge, etc.). With looking at the price of the ARB twin package I have begun to really contemplate a couple of options if I look at spending that amount.

Option A: Buy the ARB twin package.

Option B: Buy a new 8 switch sPod as mine is only 6 and I currently use 4. With adding the compressor with front/rear lockers I would end up with 7 switches. With this option, I could transfer my current 6 switch model over to my Dad's JK. I could also look at just using the ARB unit that is coming with the axles and look at CO2 for tires. The CO2 would have the advantage of being portable.

Thoughts/opinion on this? Which option and why?

Also, if looking at getting an 8 switch sPod would you go with switched panel or the touch screen? Which one and why?

What tire size are you going to air up?
I debated between the single high output and twin for awhile, went with the single once I saw it actually in use.
I have 37's and it's about two minutes per tire, so I didn't see the value in another $5-600 to save a few minutes.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I just got an ARB twin. The paperwork says it draws up to 50 amps. Before you drop money on an Spod or similar, check whether it can handle 50 amps. The ones I have seen max out at 30. Maybe you could wire the compressor directly to the battery but have a relay as the switch wired to the Spod (or similar) and avoid the issue that way.

SSRuger

ARB twin runs fine off of the 8 switch Spod. It looks directly to the battery and you can either buy the little adapter harness to add to the factory arb harness or modify the stock harness to work with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MAG00

I’m not so much worried about the wiring set up. Mainly curious in opinions or thoughts on the options I listed in OP. Obviously wiring is an issue but really considering the product applications versus each other.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SSRuger

I think you would also have look at how easy is it for you refill a c02 tank. I want a c02 but it's not worth while when I have to drive over an hour one way to get a refill. I got my twin with the anticipation of getting axles with ARB lockers later on down the road. I love my setup overall and would only do minor changes to it down the road.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tanktitan

If you go with the ARB twin, wire it as specified, then pull the purple wire from the switch and connect it to the positive on the sPod. You do not need to connect anything to the negative as it is connected already. This just transfers the switch connection from the original to the sPod switch Bank.

aTX427

The twin ARB is a beast for airing up tires if that's important. An Spod is not needed to run lockers. It comes with the harness and switches already, go buy a three pod mount, make the cut out and save yourself $500. Like Eddie, I wouldn't run one if they gave it to me. They were one of the worst companies I dealt with long before I came across WAL.

Thank you guys for the kind words! It means more than you know!!

The biggest reason we designed Central Command was to be able to have 8 fused/relay circuits but ALSO provide at least 4 additional fused circuits in the wire harness. We actually give you all that PLUS a 5th circuit that is in line with the accessory line for a total of 13 fused circuits.

Either way I would run the power lines from the compressor you choose to your battery but switch everything through a source. One other thing to look at is draw. Can the other product you mentioned, does it have a big enough source line to handle the draw from the battery?

AND, ours is sealed!!!!

stitch1

I have a ARB twin and love it. I am using a switch kit I bought off Amazon. I doubt they are a sponsor so I won't list the name. However, I had not heard of the Strike Force Zebra before today. I just went to the site. Those half doors look pretty tempting. :thumb:

When wiring the ARB you don't need an "sPod" adapter. You will just wire the main power and ground to the battery and then you can attach the relay wires to the "sPod" directly. No need to pay extra for an adapter. I think sPod wanted close to $20 for it. :naw:

I have a ARB twin and love it. I am using a switch kit I bought off Amazon. I doubt they are a sponsor so I won't list the name. However, I had not heard of the Strike Force Zebra before today. I just went to the site. Those half doors look pretty tempting. :thumb:

When wiring the ARB you don't need an "sPod" adapter. You will just wire the main power and ground to the battery and then you can attach the relay wires to the "sPod" directly. No need to pay extra for an adapter. I think sPod wanted close to $20 for it. :naw:

Hey thanks! Totally agree with that last part in fact it’s an easy fix with what ARB sends you.

co2 is awesome for airing up tires and using air tools. But I think you're overthinking the ARB compressor. It can still inflate tires with patience.

Just finished installing Both about a week or so ago. I'm amazed at how much Air that Twin ARB puts out and I'm super happy with the results. Very easy to install and connect everything up. Just be sure to get the ARB Manifold added to your order. I've got pictures in my Build Thread of them both under the hood if you want to take a look.

The reason I went with the Twin ARB is because my plan is to build a 4 Tire Inflation System and fill and deflate all 4 tires at once. So I figured the bigger the compressor the better. LOL

Here is the Video of the Inflation System I want to build that I got from TrailRecon on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYqeXxEItDI

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Just finished installing Both about a week or so ago. I'm amazed at how much Air that Twin ARB puts out and I'm super happy with the results. Very easy to install and connect everything up. Just be sure to get the ARB Manifold added to your order. I've got pictures in my Build Thread of them both under the hood if you want to take a look.

The reason I went with the Twin ARB is because my plan is to build a 4 Tire Inflation System and fill and deflate all 4 tires at once. So I figured the bigger the compressor the better. LOL

Here is the Video of the Inflation System I want to build that I got from TrailRecon on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYqeXxEItDI

How do you know your at the same pressure on all 4 tires when filling up? What if you just need to air up one tire? And how long does it take to unpack and hook all that crap up?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Since I am not currently running air lockers, I saw no need to have the switch inside the cab for the Twin. I mounted a safety toggle switch right next to the Compressor and wired directly to the battery... has worked flawless so far. Flip it on... air up, Flip it off. Done. 10-15 min.

IMG_5199.jpg

Top Bottom