Garage Door Opener Mod

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Greetings Wayalifers,

Some of you asked in the "What was Done To Your Rig This Week" thread about my garage door opener mod. The purpose of this mod for me was to hide my garage door opener so that if you park your rig outside it is not as noticeable especially for those of us who run topless and doorless for most of the year.

I am posting this write up as a guide to help you guys do this mod if you choose to. I am no electrician and as you can see by my primitive soldering skills I like things to be functional not always pretty.

First off I bought a push button/ momentary switch with two wires. I actually found vendor on eBay that sold me five of them for .99 plus shipping.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361737129.567664.jpg

I cut the plug off one end and stripped the insulation off to expose the wires.

I removed the cover for my garage door opener and located the button which controls the open/close function.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361737051.583679.jpg

I flipped it over and on my control noticed the button had four points of contact on the board, with a pair of each on a separate circuit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361737109.557126.jpg

I soldered one wire on one lead for each pair on the circuit. I only staggered them to spread them out a bit.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361737293.961569.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361737109.557126.jpg

I then cut out a portion of the plastic cover to leave room for the cord when I close the cover. (Crude notch)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361737444.080244.jpg

After closing the cover I removed the panel underneath the steering wheel to find a good mounting point for the opener case. This worked well for me I just attached it with 3M two sided tape.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361737581.277031.jpg

I had tried mounting it to the back of the panel first and had a problem adjusting my steering wheel up and down. Which is why I stuck with the mounting location above. Zero issues with function or fit.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361738218.226367.jpg

I drilled a small hole for the button on the right side of the steering wheel. Mounted the button and replaced the plastic panel. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361738009.592731.jpg

Obviously I tested the function of the button before drilling and mounting so make sure this is ironed out first.

This is the location of the button and all that is visible when installed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361738009.592731.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361738330.795644.jpg

Hope some of you find this useful. Cheers!

Frank

JAGS

Hooked
Nice. I have a different opener, but may need to open that guy up and give it a shot.

My only issue is what are you doing doing a write up on Sunday, when we could have hit a trail. Or hit some beers. Lol.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Nice. I have a different opener, but may need to open that guy up and give it a shot.

My only issue is what are you doing doing a write up on Sunday, when we could have hit a trail. Or hit some beers. Lol.

Hahah that's easy.

1) No invites (you do have my number)
2) Potty training my 2 year old is so much more fun! Yayy.
3) You're welcome.

cmlrc

Good right-up!:thumb: I went a different route with my garage door opener. I simply removed the cover on my rollbar, trimmed the foam rollbar cover so the opener would fit , then zipped the cover back on. It's right by my head, hidden under the rollbar cover. I will post a couple of pictures if anybody is interested.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Good right-up!:thumb: I went a different route with my garage door opener. I simply removed the cover on my rollbar, trimmed the foam rollbar cover so the opener would fit , then zipped the cover back on. It's right by my head, hidden under the rollbar cover. I will post a couple of pictures if anybody is interested.

That's how I had it prior to this mod. I was just tired of reaching back like a contortionist everytime I needed to open the garage. Hahahaha. It works well just wanted something more convenient.

StrizzyChris

Great writeup! This one is subscribed and on my future mods list. (just gotta stop moving every 3-6 months and get a house first)

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

cmlrc

That's how I had it prior to this mod. I was just tired of reaching back like a contortionist everytime I needed to open the garage. Hahahaha. It works well just wanted something more convenient.

I totally understand lol, my issue is that I have my trailer brake control mounted where you put your opener, guess I'm stuck with being a contortionist!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
That's a good idea! I usually end up throwing my remotes into the center console and locking it before I leave the Jeep unattended. It's always a pain to have to dig them back out. I'm going to have to open up my remote and see what the board looks like. Nice write up as well! :thumb:

pastorwug

Greetings Wayalifers,

First off I bought a push button/ momentary switch with two wires. I actually found vendor on eBay that sold me five of them for .99 plus shipping.

Hope some of you find this useful. Cheers!

Frank

Hey Frank, have the other 4 switches laying around?
I'll purchase one from ya.
:thumb:

David1tontj

Here's mine.. Thanks for the idea Frank! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390722574.970183.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390722588.986426.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390722602.807107.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390722617.550667.jpg

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Top Bottom