Let's talk U joints

metalic

I have chromoly shafts and had Spicer solid joints. Broke a U joint this weekend and looking at replacement options.
1. Spicer solid
2. USA alloy
3. Nitro chromoly
4. CTM
5. Sell shafts and go RCV

Would like to hear real world opinions from others that has ran these options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Were the ones you had full circle clips? How did the joint break? I'm running Dynatrac shafts, no issues so far, but they will not work on a JK OEM Rubicon housing.

WJCO

Meme King
What were the conditions when it broke? As in what were you doing? That looks like a G2 shaft. Mybadjk had one go too on a G2 gold shaft.

metalic

What were the conditions when it broke? As in what were you doing? That looks like a G2 shaft. Mybadjk had one go too on a G2 gold shaft.
Cold (which I'm sure had something to do with it)
It's a G2 shaft (Foote makes them)
Climbing a big hill and got a lol bound at top
They're sending me new shafts since it messed up the y okes.

I broke a Spicer joint and trying to decide what joint to go with or go to RCV

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have chromoly shafts and had Spicer solid joints. Broke a U joint this weekend and looking at replacement options.
1. Spicer solid
2. USA alloy
3. Nitro chromoly
4. CTM
5. Sell shafts and go RCV

Would like to hear real world opinions from others that has ran these options.

Honestly, if you’re running a 44, it sounds to me like you need to be running a 60. If you insist on keeping what you have, CTM joints is what I would recommend and way over RCV. And yes, I’ve run both.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

metalic

Honestly, if you’re running a 44, it sounds to me like you need to be running a 60. If you insist on keeping what you have, CTM joints is what I would recommend and way over RCV. And yes, I’ve run both.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
You're correct in what I have and need lol however that's a huge jump and not sure I want to.
Through my Google search I saw in your write up you installed alloy joints. Any stronger than Spicer in your opinion?

metalic

What's special about these CTM joints? I just did a quick search about them, but didn't find a lot about them. They are $$$ though.
They use a bushing instead of needles
Rebuildable
Stronger
They'll send you new if you break one.
They're a competition joint really and not really for a DD. In a daily you'd rebuild often.

One of the guys I wheel with ran them in the 1310 flavor and broke them also.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're correct in what I have and need lol however that's a huge jump and not sure I want to.
Through my Google search I saw in your write up you installed alloy joints. Any stronger than Spicer in your opinion?

EVERYTHING breaks. RCV's may not have joints to break but they'll sound like they're broken as they snap and pop loudly. They'll still twist splines too and RCV will say that both are "normal". If you're able to break through a solid joint, it's time to go bigger or start carrying spare shafts. Just the nature of the beast.

Top Bottom