which of these 3 racks

Uncle O

hello everyone. its time for this year's additions to my 2014 JKURX. looking to add a roof rack this time around. I know this is a question that appears a lot on forums. I have done a ton of research, read many threads, and even personally looked at all three on my list. (stalked a few JKs around town) as everyone knows, you get tons of different answers about the same product. so before I pick and install, I wanted to ask just to make sure I get the right one for me. so any information such as wind noise, installation issues, freedom panel removal (one of my major concerns), strength, and accessories would be most useful.

My rack wishlist:
1) Kargo Master Lo-Pro
2) Frontrunner Slimline II 1/2 Rack
3) Rhinorack

How I would use:
1) Overlanding and Camping: need extra storage area
2) Will add a RRT in the near future
3) Hauling larger supplies

Thank you in advance for the help. having such a hard time picking one.

glen5264

I have the aev rack. It’s awesome. Looks great and functions too. I believe this is extremely similar to the Rhino rack but different mounting.

There is a cost!

And as long as you don’t plan on taking off your hardtop.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Uncle O

thanks for the information. AEV, Maximus, and Rhino seem to be similar just a little different mounting. If I go that direction I will make sure to look at all three to pick the best mounting for me.

I use the freedom panels all the time so I don't mind not taking the top off.

Uncle O

good to know. lots of people love their gobi but im looking for a more streamline rack. the Kargo was the only full length on my list. it has a clean look but I have gotten mixed info about the removal of the freedom panels. because of that it scares me the most.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Friend if mine had the Gobi for a while and hated it so much that he took it off. Said it was heavy, which adversely impacted handling, even when empty. Much worse when full of stuff. The wind resistance negatively impacted mileage.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I believe the rhino rack still allows you to remove the hardtop even after install. For this reason I’d go with that option. I’m looking into these as well for a future upgrade and really like the low profile and versatility. It seems almost like it not there even after it’s installed.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
What about the LOD sliding rack? To me that always seemed like a great idea and much easier to possibly load.

Basscat

Never had a roof rack but have touched and messed with the AEV rack on a friend’s Jeep. As is the case with everything AEV makes it’s high quality, well thought out, and mounted like a brick. I would opt for the AEV if I were installing one. I’ve never had an issue with AEV equipment and I’ve owned lots of it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have the Front Runner II Extreme Roof Rack Kit but not the half one. I like it and it is extremely sturdy. It is built to last. I installed it this past year. I can run a RTT and still have room for supplies.

1. The freedom panels are still easily removable. You can run it without your hardtop as well and it isn’t that hard to do. You can also leave it attached to your hardtop and just run topless without the rack.

2. You will have to drill into your hardtop but you will use the hardware provided and it seals up nicely. These are the only modification you will have to make to your Jeep. The rack ties into your factory roll cage into the existing factory drilled holes. Mine does not leak where I drilled...so far.

3. There is wind noise but it’s not horrible and you are going to get that with any roof rack you will install. With the top and freedom panels on I barely notice it.

4. Tons of accessories are available. I currently run the pro camp table that mounts under the rack, beer bottle opener (a must have) and the telescopic ladder brackets. I use the stratchits and tie down rings to secure whatever I carry on the rack and they work extremely well. I have run an ezi-awn 1200 Roof top tent without any issues.

No regrets here.
IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
The scary part, 16 holes drilled into the hardtop. Like I said though, after that everything else ties into existing factory drilled holes.
IMG_0704.JPG

This is the table that fits underneath the rack and is secured with a locking latch. It uses the space under the rack that is not normally used. It was a little spendy but I knew I wanted it and saved up the extra $$.
IMG_0924.JPG

I have tons of other pics from the install if you would like to see them.

Last edited:

rubiDave

I have the Rhino Pioneer Platform with Rhino backbone. My primary concern was being able to park in the garage even after a lift and new tires, being able to transport surfboards, lumber, oversized stuff from Home Depot or Costco. The Rhino rack scores well on those points, as it was the lowest profile rack I could find. You can still remove freedom panels and hardtop no problems. It's aluminum, so it doesn't weigh too much, is easily removable, wind noise is there but tolerable. As with any rack if you load tall items wind drag is noticeable and MPG will suck.

That said, the Rhino Rack load capacity is questionable. The supplier I bought from advertises >500lb load capacity, however when I got it the owners manual states 220 lb max. I have off roaded with a few bundles of firewood and a duffel of camping stuff up there - no problems, but would think twice about loading it with spare tires, gas cans, rooftop tent etc. without verifying that's OK.

Top Bottom