Transmission leaking

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Found this today while under the Jeep. Transmission fluid level is fine, seems like a slow leak. Mileage is 105k, unsure of when it was serviced last. Almost looks like the seal is gone in a couple places. I'm assuming I just need to service it? Reseal, filter, fluid, ect. 20180106_164353%7E2.jpg 20180106_164417%7E2.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
BrakeClean the shit out of it. Then run it and see if you can identify the source of the leak.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
BrakeClean the shit out of it. Then run it and see if you can identify the source of the leak.
Okay I'll do this. Also all bolts are tightened. Also, is it normal for the very top to be wet? Above where the seal is.

WJCO

Meme King
Okay I'll do this. Also all bolts are tightened. Also, is it normal for the very top to be wet? Above where the seal is.

With all the airflow under a vehicle, the source of transmission leaks can be tough to find. The leak residue gets blown everywhere. If you clean it off and run it and check it in your driveway, it will be easier to determine what is leaking. I've seen tons of pan gasket leaks with residue above the gasket.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
With all the airflow under a vehicle, the source of transmission leaks can be tough to find. The leak residue gets blown everywhere. If you clean it off and run it and check it in your driveway, it will be easier to determine what is leaking. I've seen tons of pan gasket leaks with residue above the gasket.

Yep. My, “transmission leak,” turned out to be oil, from my front crank shaft seal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Okay, I'll let you know ow what I find after running it for a while.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
20180106_184707%7E2.jpg 20180106_184407%7E2.jpg
Couple shots of my seal. Real flimsy in a couple spots. Looks like it's broken off at this point. I had to tighten this bolt a few months back because it was leaking just a little.

jeeeep

Hooked
View attachment 288758 View attachment 288759
Couple shots of my seal. Real flimsy in a couple spots. Looks like it's broken off at this point. I had to tighten this bolt a few months back because it was leaking just a little.

that bolt looks pretty wet.

if you've had issues with it before, I'd say drop the pan and reseal it.

possible whoever did it last time didn't make a complete circle with the RTV around the hole(s)

Just be sure to use MOPAR ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid

Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
that bolt looks pretty wet.

if you've had issues with it before, I'd say drop the pan and reseal it.

possible whoever did it last time didn't make a complete circle with the RTV around the hole(s)

Just be sure to use MOPAR ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
Are these the parts I need?
Mopar 6805 9549AA, Auto Trans Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6E49UW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1EJuAbZXD6CJA
Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid, 5 Liter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HN4GTQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3DJuAb0TKW9MT
I've already got RTV and blue lock tight or I was thinking of using the lube locker seal.
Probably a good idea to service the transfer case at the same time?

jeeeep

Hooked
Are these the parts I need?
Mopar 6805 9549AA, Auto Trans Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6E49UW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1EJuAbZXD6CJA
Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid, 5 Liter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HN4GTQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3DJuAb0TKW9MT
I've already got RTV and blue lock tight or I was thinking of using the lube locker seal.
Probably a good idea to service the transfer case at the same time?

That's correct and yes, I'd service the transfer case if it hasn't been done in awhile

Top Bottom