Were to go from were I stand...

jorgelrod

Hooked
Hey guys, since I bought my Jeep in 2013, I've been building a pretty balanced rig that has served it's double duty of DD and weekend Overlander/Wheeler pretty well. I eventually upgraded the D30 for the PR44 and felt like the jeep was solid. Back in PR, the tropical setting gave me a pretty simple wheeling scene, the island being 100 miles long by 35 miles wide was pretty much a mud wheelers dream and as some of you have seen in my pics from posts through the years, I was never shy to bury my jeep in the stuff. Seeing how that was my scene, I built my Jeep well but at some places I felt that were I was was kind of enough. Examples of these are the fact that I run the standard 30 splines on my Sport rear D44 even though I have an Air locker, I run Dynatrac's 30 Spline shafts up front in my PR44 and I for the most part have though that was pretty strong for 35's. In comes the last quarter of the year and situations in my personal and profesional careers had me move to Jacksonville Florida, all of a sudden my range of places to wheel, campsites to visit expanded a thousand fold. Those dreams of taking the rig to Moab or the Rubicon and at least check them off the bucket list are now a hell of a lot more tangible. I've started to think about what I want to do, where should my build go from here and I feel I'm kind of at a catch 22. One thing is for certain, the springs on my 2.5 inch lift have started to sag on the passenger side and I've been eyeing for a while now the jump to 3.5", the rest is where I find my self not knowing where to go. So here we go, this are my doubts and were I am open to suggestions from the group, after all, most of the way I've built my jeep has to do with what I've learned from you guys.

I'm still on the fence about 37's. I find the 35's are in a sweet spot where my rig has been capable as hell and gas mileage has been pretty good for a rolling brick. I drive down to Orlando at least once a month to visit my wife's sister and family and do a lot miles around JAX because everything is so spread around here. Then again, I want at some point in my rigs life to visit Moab and the Rubicon and places like Ouray and Black Bear pass, Etc. These are places I want to visit, but unlike Eddie or most of the guys for whom these places are a pretty close and "local" scene, these are places I might visit once or twice on pilgrimage but not very often. It seems the South Eastern US is all about the mud too. How much am I limiting myself if I stay at 35?

30 Splines. I have found my rig pretty capable, I'm also the first guy to say time to break the winch when I feel pushing to hard might break something. I saw guys a plenty back home run 37's on their D30's and get away mostly because of the fact that we ran mud. Me being part of this forum, I knew better, that is why I moved to my PR44 and wheeled the hell out of my rig with confidence. Given my new reality and those things I want to do, is 30 splines enough if I stay at 35's? Will I definitely need to move to 35 splines (Front and Rear) if I decide to slap 37's or can I get away with it?

35 Splines. I posted a bit back about the idea of maybe growing the rear to a FF/60 with my visualization that I would run like Rubicat did for a while with a PR44/60 combo with spacers in the front to match the wider rear FF. Even if I jump to 37's I figure that is my limit, I don't see myself going to 40's, not because I wouldn't want to but because a Jeep on 40's brings a whole host of other upgrade needs I cannot afford and would most definitely would want to try and skimp on to end up wasting money on breakages etc. This idea was brought to kind of a standstill as some of the members on the forum brought to my attention how I would scrape my diff on just about everything on 37's. I know I could go for the 35 Spline rear upgrade from Dynatrac, but what about the front? Am I good with 30 splines or would I need to move those to 35 splines as well (This is also a factor that make me think about staying at 35)

Sorry for the long post. I've been thinking about this for a bit the last few weeks as I'm starting to set apart some $$ for newer upgrades but want to learn from previous mistakes (Sleeving my 30 and putting a truetrac so that I would eventually end up doing a PR44 anyways) and want to head in the right direction. As always I value all of your input and advice as I know how much it has helped me in the past.

WJCO

Meme King
One thing to think about if you go to larger tires is that you'll probably want to regear again. That's more money that you've already spent and will spend again. Been there myself.

jorgelrod

Hooked
One thing to think about if you go to larger tires is that you'll probably want to regear again. That's more money that you've already spent and will spend again. Been there myself.

These are the things keeping me up at night...
;) ;) ;)

fiend

Caught the Bug
Changing spines will require new lockers (if you have them) or new differential carriers. Seems like a lot of money for a marginal improvement. Based on your description of your needs, staying with 35s and your current spline count seems sufficient.

black pearl

Hooked
I have to say I love running 35s. Not to say I don't dream of 37s. Being on the west coast, I've been to the rubicon a few times, never felt they held me back. I'm also planning a trip to Moab and feel confident they will get me where I want to go. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Going to 37s will open up different lines on some trails, but really skill level, a good spotter and knowing your jeep, 35s will get you through most anything. I’d add a couple key skid plates for protection and upgrade your rear axle when you can. Spend some time on some rocks and your jeep will show you your weak points. Assess from there and keep building!!

jeeeep

Hooked
I run 37's, beadlocks on PR44 front and stock D44 rear but can tell you that 35's got me everywhere I wanted to go.

Only real difference I find with 37's are the lines I take, sometimes I still chose the easier line because I drive my jeep to and from locations.

I've seen stock Jeeps on a lot of the trails and they get thru with a little help from time to time.

I've fixed things in hotel parking lots and have to say any part can usually be had overnight.

ball joints and hubs seem to wear out faster but I think some of that can be attributed to the spacers.

2010 JKU 37's, 4.88 gears, ATX Beadlocks

If you like where your Jeep is setup now, i'd take care of the coil issue and leave it like you have it.

you can still get to all the wheeling places on your list and you'll be fine.

once you test the limits of your Jeep at those locations, make changes if you see yourself wheeling them more often than not :thumb:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If you go to D60 FF you will also need new wheels for the different bolt pattern. Regearing is also an added expense as mentioned. I love running 37s but I think it's taken a toll on the stock rear 44. I've had my battles with axle seals leaking, torn off control mount, and possible bent housing.
The places you mentioned visiting are fairly close to me and I frequent these places at least once a year. I've driven several trails in Moab and all the trails in Ouray on 35s no problem. I'm with the others on just sticking with what you got but it is fun to upgrade the jeep. It seems I have a hard time following my own advice lol.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I would wheel it as it is now, find the limits of your current setup. Then when you feel you’re ready for more, upgrade to 37s and hit the same trails. IMHO this allows you to enjoy some of the same trails while getting a completely different experience. For me it’s not so much about the technical setup as much as how much enjoyment I get out of it. I love pushing the my limits and finding the edge of insanity (as my wife would call it). As a result I wheeled for a while stock and went straight to 37s as I knew I’d eventually go there anyways. Had an absolute blast hitting the same trails built up rigs went on while fully stock, learned a lot as well.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Thanks for all the great advice, I guess my line of approach now is 3.5 lift followed by rock rails and skid plates and then go and find the limits of my jeep.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the great advice, I guess my line of approach now is 3.5 lift followed by rock rails and skid plates and then go and find the limits of my jeep.

Those sound like good improvements. Maybe a winch too, if you don’t already have one.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I run 37's, beadlocks on PR44 front and stock D44 rear but can tell you that 35's got me everywhere I wanted to go.

Only real difference I find with 37's are the lines I take, sometimes I still chose the easier line because I drive my jeep to and from locations.

I've seen stock Jeeps on a lot of the trails and they get thru with a little help from time to time.

I've fixed things in hotel parking lots and have to say any part can usually be had overnight.

ball joints and hubs seem to wear out faster but I think some of that can be attributed to the spacers.

2010 JKU 37's, 4.88 gears, ATX Beadlocks

If you like where your Jeep is setup now, i'd take care of the coil issue and leave it like you have it.

you can still get to all the wheeling places on your list and you'll be fine.

once you test the limits of your Jeep at those locations, make changes if you see yourself wheeling them more often than not :thumb:

Agreed. I haven’t had a chance to run the rubicon yet but you will be able to do almost everything in moab with 35s.

I'm enjoying learning from everybodies comments. As for MOAB, I ran a lot of the trails there in a stock JKU X. I was hesitant at first but a friend convinced me to do it, just have to chose your lines better. As many have mentioned the thing I missed most was the extra protection skid plates, and rock rails would provide, even though I didn't do any damage or rub too much they just would have provided more confidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom