Teraflex HD Monster track bar broken!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Went to run Axle Alley and Highway to Hell today in Florence Junction, AZ. Didn't even make it 5 ft onto the trail or even over the first major obstacle. Just drive the dirt roads for a few miles to get to the trail head.

It's a Teraflex HD Monster front track bar that came with my Teraflex 3" LCG longarm suspension kit, 2 yrs old. It looks like its been cracked for some time. I'm sure they'll replace it no problem. But I think I'm in the market for a different track bar now. Was able to limp off the trail with clever use of two ratchet straps and the winch cable.

Attachments

• image-2015689531.jpg
    image-2015689531.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 249
  • image-431344139.jpg
    image-431344139.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 381
  • image-2208554515.jpg
    image-2208554515.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 247

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WTF!! that same thing happend to JeepCacher in Moab. Glad that nobody got hurt and you were able to get home okay.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
WTF!! that same thing happend to JeepCacher in Moab. Glad that nobody got hurt and you were able to get home okay.

I remember his thread over on JKF. I think mine is like the 3rd or 4th one I've heard of breaking. I'm no metallurgical expert but it looks like cheap cast steel to me. Where it broke the metal looks very porous.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
MTG said:
Bummer. Any pics of how you jerry-rigged it to get home?

No I should've taken some. I just ran a ratchet strap parallel to the track bar, and hooked the winch cable onto the axle tube on the driver side to pull the opposite direction. Axle stayed centered the whole time.

blazer

Caught the Bug
I'm running their Teraflex HD Monster track bar. Do you know the date when they changed
to their new updated track bar?? Thanks.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
blazer said:
I'm running their Teraflex HD Monster track bar. Do you know the date when they changed
to their new updated track bar?? Thanks.

I'm not sure. You can easily see the difference though. Mine, the older style, has the turn buckle right in the middle of the track bar. The updated design moved the track bar way down to just above the axle end of the track bar.

Zaskar said:
Wow, How can this happen? Just weak material? Glad your Ok

I'm guessing so. Plus the fact the turn buckle being in the middle, I bet alot of bending leverage/stresses applied to it. The threads for the turn buckle is a smaller diameter, and the weakest part of the bar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom