Cold Start Clicking & Spark?

Hack12

This morning I noticed a clicking sound that lasts for about 2-3 minutes when my 08 JKU is started cold. When I looked at where the sound was coming from at night I noticed a spark, which is what the clicking sound is. Almost sounds like a gas stove sparking, but a bit slower. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my phone out fast enough to take a video or pic of the spark. I saw it looking into the engine bay from the driver's side wheel well. I took these photos looking down on the engine bay from the driver's side attempting to locate where I had seen the spark from the wheel well.

Just wondering what this could possibly be and if it is at all normal??

Any thoughts?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361767403.411281.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361767413.053220.jpg

Hack12

Just changed the plugs but not the wires, figures. No codes being thrown. Just wondering why it would go away after a minute or two?

Last edited:

TheDuff

Spark is gonna travel the path of least resistance. Plug wire may have a crack/tear/melted area there. Possible when the rubber is cold its easier for the spark to jump that gap till the rubber heats up. Or that plug is no good and carrying higher resistance, too large of gap, or a piece of debris such as carbon has bridged the ground strap to the electroid. Any of these scenario's is easy fix:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hack12

Didn't do it at all today. Only difference is that it was well above freezing out today. Hmmm?

Hack12

Could be a bad spark plug wire.

Game, set, match. You were 100% correct. Changed the wires today.

Spark is gonna travel the path of least resistance. Plug wire may have a crack/tear/melted area there. Possible when the rubber is cold its easier for the spark to jump that gap till the rubber heats up. Or that plug is no good and carrying higher resistance, too large of gap, or a piece of debris such as carbon has bridged the ground strap to the electroid. Any of these scenario's is easy fix:)

Thanks for the info, you hit the nail right on the head.

Top Bottom