DieHard Platinum Battery for 2012 JK's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, for some reason, Jeep decided to change the type of battery they use in the Jeep JK Wrangler from a Group 34, which was used in 2007-11, to a Group 91 which is now used in all 2012's and I presume, on up. While this really shouldn't be that big of a deal, the terminals on a Group 91 battery are opposite to those on a Group 34 and, this makes it near impossible to hook up the leads or, at least not without having to do some modifications. Of course, as luck would have it, a Group 91 battery or it's equivalent, a Group 48, isn't really a common size you find in a deep cycle format and unfortunately, not something that's available in a Sears Diehard Platinum, Odyssey or even Optima.

Being that we have a winch on our 2012 JK and that we like to carry around our ARB Fridge Freeze with us on the trail, installing a deep cycle battery was pretty high on our to do list and, after doing some research, this is what I found.

Pulling out the factory battery, I noticed that there was a plastic spacer installed that I can only guess is designed to help the battery from sliding around...
main.php

Having said that, this spacer was pretty flimsy and had a push tab that allowed it to be removed as shown...
main.php

As you can see here, with the spacer removed, you can easily fit a 13" long battery...
main.php

With a 13"x7" base, I had originally considered installing a DieHard PM-1 Group 31 Marine Battery which is that exact measurement but, as I would soon discover, it doesn't come with a footing and so, there was no way to secure it down with the batterFortunatelyp.

Fortuantely, the Sears DieHard P-5 Group 35 battery does have the base footing and could be secured without any problems using the clamp...
main.php

While the Group 35 is just on the short side in terms of length, the clamp does seem to do a good job of holding the battery in place...
main.php

Shot of what it looks like installed. As you can see, the battery fits great and is a nice deep cycle improvement over the factory unit and one that has 140 more cold cranking amps and a 100 min reserve capacity...
main.php

If you've got a 2012 JK and are in the market for a good deep cycle replacement battery, I would highly recoPlatinumetting a DieHard Platnum P-5. While they are pricey, they are essentially repackaged Odyssey Batteries and worth every penny. I've run Optimas in the past and have since found these are a much better option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Only 3 trips? :rock:

:doh: okay, four. i'll tell ya, i'm gonna be sore tomorrow after lifting batteries in and out of our jeep and across the parking lot into sears and back several times. the PM-1 Group 31 was a crazy heavy 71 lbs. too :shock:

thedrod

This is good info.

I don't think they are too pricey. Will all the doo-dads people run on their jeeps these days, a $200+ battery is worth it the first time you get stuck. Thanks for doing the homework. I've had bad experiences with Optimas and have wanted an alternative.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
well, if people like you can benefit from it, i guess the 3 trips i had to make to sears today was worth it :blush::D

it was worth your efforts... Thank You..

Now if someone would come out with a dual battery option we would be in business. After seeing a couple battery issues on the trail, I cant see not running two.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds good! :thumb: If its that better than an optima than I know what battery Im getting for an upgrade. :brows:

we used to run optimas all the time but had nothing but problems with them. the diehard platnums are much much better and we've yet to have any problems with them.

This is good info.

I don't think they are too pricey. Will all the doo-dads people run on their jeeps these days, a $200+ battery is worth it the first time you get stuck. Thanks for doing the homework. I've had bad experiences with Optimas and have wanted an alternative.

i'm with you, but, i do hear it all the time about how expensive they are. to me, they are totally worth it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it was worth your efforts... Thank You..

Now if someone would come out with a dual battery option we would be in business. After seeing a couple battery issues on the trail, I cant see not running two.

honestly, if you were to get creative in how to strap them down, you can pretty much fit 2 of these group 35's batteries in the existing tray. after playing around with it today, i may give it a try someday.

TeamFaust

yes, we run a dual battery setup in our 2007 JK and you'd want the P-1 Group 34 instead

So if I already had to bite the bullet and buy a replacement battery (no time to research and config for dual at the time), any challenges with just adding a deep cycle second battery (2008 JKU Sahara winch add is in the works)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
sorry for the confusion. you can just install the P-1 group 34 battery in the factory location and call it a day.

TeamFaust

sorry for the confusion. you can just install the P-1 group 34 battery in the factory location and call it a day.

That is what I figured. That should provide plenty of juice even with accessoris like lights & winch (may have to add the Fridge Freezer too :thumb: ). Only limitation versus running dual battery is not having a full "back-up" in case of primary battery failure/drain, yes?

Thanks for the great forum(s)!

Serg5000

Put that same battery in our 2008. Ran our ARB fridge for 4 days without starting our jeep and it fired up without issue on the 4th day.

Top Bottom