How do you guys diagnose problems?

I think it may be time for new ball joint and some other steering components but I want to get the most life out of my stock parts... how do guys know when certain things are going bad?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermid

I think it may be time for new ball joint and some other steering components but I want to get the most life out of my stock parts... how do guys know when certain things are going bad?

Are you getting death wobble? What are the symptoms you are trying to diagnose? Or is this preventative? There could be a lot of approaches to diagnosing based on the issue

This is what I’ve done:

Ball joints you can check for by jacking up one side, putting something near the tire to use as a fulcrum, and using a crowbar/piece of wood to try and check the wheel for play/clicking.

Wheel bearings with the side still jacked you can check by trying to wiggle with your hands on the tire at 12 & 6; tie rod can be hands at 3 & 9, again shouldn’t feel play/ hear clicking

For tie rod/drag link I put some cardboard under my tires(I used some cardboard since I was in my driveway, if you have a sandy road that works too, this was just to protect my tred and driveway a little), got my significant other in the driver seat and watched as he moved the wheel back and forth. You can see/hear if things are bad if the ends show movement/clicking. Also a sign can be the tie rod/drag link feeling loose/not holding position.

Track bar bolt/bushing could be showing movement and need tightened/replaced

Sound can play a part; I don’t put up with noises from my Jeep, if I’m hearing something new I’m under it figuring out what it is

And of course make sure bolts are torqued properly and aren’t coming loose

--Erin

Last edited:

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Like this....

Paying attention to the problem.
A little bit of research.
Possibly some trial & error
And last, but certainly not least...
Common sense.
ie: if it pops and clicks when you turn right. Jack it up and crank the wheel to the right, then inspect.

Paying attention to the problem.
A little bit of research.
Possibly some trial & error
And last, but certainly not least...
Common sense.
ie: if it pops and clicks when you turn right. Jack it up and crank the wheel to the right, then inspect.

Good idea, I gotta stop being a wuss and just got out and diagnose a popping/ clicking at full turn in this 20 degree weather haha

pwhalley

Being a mechanic I do things very similar to above. In saying that, if a warning light comes on check the code (I’ve got a $15us reader that connects to my phone) it’ll give you a rough idea.
Steering on the Jeep is harder than most cars as there are so many components. I get the missus to rock the steering back and forth. I also record both left and right hand sides, also the centre section. As your eyes can only see so much the video helps pin point the location of your problem. You can see movement from frame/brackets compared to the rod/arm you are checking.
Ball joints I do as said above.
Hope this helps

Gbint

Kal tire checks my jk front every time I bring it in for my free tire rotation, hoping to sell me front end parts. At 40k I’m still good for a bit.

Top Bottom