Old subject. Wheeling with no spare.

The BAD Influence

I attended the winter Jeep outing in southern Utah over the weekend. My observation of Jeeps carrying spare tires was this: On the mild to moderate trails almost all Jeeps had spares. On the more extreme trails the vast majority didn't.
On the extreme trails, I observed several guys dumping gear (tools, spare parts, coolers...etc) out of the rear of their Jeep prior to attempting an obstacle.
It seemed that weight in the rear of their Jeep was critical. I was a guest and not driving my Jeep and given the fact that they all seemed more knowledgeable and experienced than I, I didn't ask any questions. (Side note, not sure if this is related, but I'm going to estimate that 90-95% of the Jeeps were rolling on Teraflex parts. Does Teraflex preach against too much weight in the rear because their parts are sub par?)
So again, does going without a spare, and dumping gear, really make so much of a difference, that it's worth it?

Last edited:

Cashburn

Hardcore wheelers will have hardcore wheeler friends and hardcore wheeler fixes. Mid level guys don’t want to screw with all that so they run the 5th. Having said that I prefer to carry a spare so no love lost there. I would say Teraflex is the Budweiser of Jeep parts. Readily available, great advertising, made in America, will get you from point A to B but not all in the best parts you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I wouldn’t be comfortable with it. And i probably wouldn’t put a ton of stock into the opinion of ‘experienced’ guys depending on teraflex ‘quality’. Bottom line is all of the obstacles you saw them do can be done with a spare.

jesse3638

Hooked
Not carrying a spare is senseless..

Also not sure why anyone would be dumping gear, sounds like they need to rethink their setup.

^^^This^^^ My wife attended and drove the Newb Run in 2014. We were not only loaded down with tools but also camping gear and 3 kids...haha. She did fine, mind you nothing was “extreme”.

Teraflex is not made in the USA its Chinese parts assembled in the USA. Junk

WJCO

Meme King
The answer is simple. All the 'extreme' guys spent all of their money on overpriced Chinese parts and can't afford the 5th tire and wheel. Shit happens.

Ddays

Hooked
Hardcore wheelers will have hardcore wheeler friends and hardcore wheeler fixes. Mid level guys don’t want to screw with all that so they run the 5th. Having said that I prefer to carry a spare so no love lost there. I would say Teraflex is the Budweiser of Jeep parts. Readily available, great advertising, made in fucking China, will get you from point A to B but not all in the best parts you can get.

Fixed it for ya :thumb: Other than that I would agree.

Ddays

Hooked
Well shit... I thought I read they were USA parts. Never looked that good to me anyway. I stand corrected. Not surprised though.

There's a thread here where it was touched on what "Made in USA", "Assembled in USA" etc, etc, all mean. A lot of manufacturers play fast and loose with this bullshit labeling. Gotta read the fine print. The good ones will proclaim "Proudly made in the USA". Pretty hard to dispute that one. :usa-salute:

Cashburn

There's a thread here where it was touched on what "Made in USA", "Assembled in USA" etc, etc, all mean. A lot of manufacturers play fast and loose with this bullshit labeling. Gotta read the fine print. The good ones will proclaim "Proudly made in the USA". Pretty hard to dispute that one. :usa-salute:

Thanks Bro

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On the extreme trails, I observed several guys dumping gear (tools, spare parts, coolers...etc) out of the rear of their Jeep prior to attempting an obstacle. It seemed that weight in the rear of their Jeep was critical. I was a guest and not driving my Jeep and given the fact that they all seemed more knowledgeable and experienced than I, I didn't ask any questions. (Side note, not sure if this is related, but I'm going to estimate that 90-95% of the Jeeps were rolling on Teraflex parts. Does Teraflex preach against too much weight in the rear because their parts are sub par?) So again, does going without a spare, and dumping gear, really make so much of a difference, that it's worth it?

I dunno. I would never dream of running without a spare but then, I'm just a mall crawler and nowhere as experienced as anyone who'd run a TeraFlex lift.

fiend

Caught the Bug
The answer is simple. All the 'extreme' guys spent all of their money on overpriced Chinese parts and can't afford the 5th tire and wheel. Shit happens.

Or their spare fell off when their TF spare mount failed.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Hardcore wheelers will have hardcore wheeler friends and hardcore wheeler fixes. Mid level guys don’t want to screw with all that so they run the 5th. Having said that I prefer to carry a spare so no love lost there. I would say Teraflex is the Budweiser of Jeep parts. Readily available, great advertising, made in America, will get you from point A to B but not all in the best parts you can get.

Not made in America.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Even if it were, who drinks Budweiser when so many better options are available?
Hey now.... Nothing wrong with Budweiser. LoL

As far as running with no spare tire... It's just asking for trouble and stupidity at its best. It seems like a good idea until you're stuck on the trail watching Everybody pass you going to look at that idiot... He doesn't have a spare

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom