2012 JK 3.6 engine issues, anyone else seeing these?

nknacd

It started with a P0016 - Crankshaft/camshaft Timing Misalignment code and Jeep showed no signs of hesitation or other issues just this code. After talking with fellow Jeepers I ended up replacing the crankshaft position sensor and cleared the codes. Went about a day and then I got the same code again. So I changed the camshaft position sensors. Went a few days and then got P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. I took it to the dealership to have them look at it and they came back with it having a bad camshaft phaser and needs a new camshaft and phaser. Well they just called me and stated that all of that went fine but now the engine fans won't kick on like they are suppose to.

Also, thermostat is stuck open but that's an easy fix that I can do myself. So i'm not sure if the fan issues are related to the thermostat being stuck open.

Anyone else seeing these type of issues? I'm at ~107,000 miles

trailraider

if they disconnected the battery , there is a wire that easily can get missed when reconnecting. it controls the fan assembly. seen it several times. might not be your issue but worth a look.

jmayps

I’ve been having the same issue and haven’t figured it out yet. I have the same codes but the CEL and traction control light kick on and I have to use the tap shifter to drive it on the freeway. Super annoying.

I’ve also replaced the sensor and it didn’t do anything. CEL and TC light come on randomly though. After starting the jeep the next day or so it goes away

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
It started with a P0016 - Crankshaft/camshaft Timing Misalignment code and Jeep showed no signs of hesitation or other issues just this code. After talking with fellow Jeepers I ended up replacing the crankshaft position sensor and cleared the codes. Went about a day and then I got the same code again. So I changed the camshaft position sensors. Went a few days and then got P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire. I took it to the dealership to have them look at it and they came back with it having a bad camshaft phaser and needs a new camshaft and phaser. Well they just called me and stated that all of that went fine but now the engine fans won't kick on like they are suppose to.

Also, thermostat is stuck open but that's an easy fix that I can do myself. So i'm not sure if the fan issues are related to the thermostat being stuck open.

Anyone else seeing these type of issues? I'm at ~107,000 miles

unfortunately the 2012's seemd to have alot of issues that were worked out afterwards.

If they replaced the camshaft phaser it's possible they left the fan relay sensor disconnected or broke a wire on it during dissaembly or assembly. I'm sure they'll figure it out but sucks you have to keep waiting to get your Jeep back.

nknacd

unfortunately the 2012's seemd to have alot of issues that were worked out afterwards.

If they replaced the camshaft phaser it's possible they left the fan relay sensor disconnected or broke a wire on it during dissaembly or assembly. I'm sure they'll figure it out but sucks you have to keep waiting to get your Jeep back.

Turns out the fan issue was corroded pins on the connectors. According to the service person "they replaced the connectors and re-pinned it". Not really sure if that meant they re-pinned at the TIPM or what though as they mentioned the issue might have been the TIPM but later found it was the corroded connections.

thanks for the input, i'm out the money but at least my jeep is back in working condition.

Top Bottom