Tie rod upgrade.

Hey all. Wanting to get some recommendations on upgrading the entire tie rod assembly. Rolling on 35’s and about 3 inches or so but 37’s are on the horizon as is an axle upgrade. My stock tie rod has seen better days and I’m having some alignment issues that is leading me to believe it “could” be bent ever so slightly but too minor to really tell. It’s also so rusted that there isn’t much adjustment left in it.

How many of you have upgraded to something a bit stronger and who would you all recommend?

aermid

Hey all. Wanting to get some recommendations on upgrading the entire tie rod assembly. Rolling on 35’s and about 3 inches or so but 37’s are on the horizon as is an axle upgrade. My stock tie rod has seen better days and I’m having some alignment issues that is leading me to believe it “could” be bent ever so slightly but too minor to really tell. It’s also so rusted that there isn’t much adjustment left in it.

How many of you have upgraded to something a bit stronger and who would you all recommend?

I recently upgraded to the chromoly synergy tie rod because my stock ends were toast. I’ve been happy with quality. Synergy was also very quick to send me a free castlenut after I messed one up along with a little swag bits. The CS was real nice even though it was my fault :)

--Erin

jeeeep

Hooked
I've run synergy and liked it but be sure to get the misalignment washers with it or the flop noise will make you wonder "WTH was that?" all the time.

If you plan to add hydro-assist I wouldn't recommend synergy. It's too straight and with the amount of flop it'll cause the ram to hug/hit the diff cover and cause binding on the flop - not even the misalignment washers helped.

If you want strong, look at currie. I belive they now make 2 models, the correctlync and extreme duty correctlync. You can get either as a pair that includes the flip drag link if you go that route.

J

JKDream

I've run synergy and liked it but be sure to get the misalignment washers with it or the flop noise will make you wonder "WTH was that?" all the time.

If you plan to add hydro-assist I wouldn't recommend synergy. It's too straight and with the amount of flop it'll cause the ram to hug/hit the diff cover and cause binding on the flop - not even the misalignment washers helped.

I remember you posting this when I was doing my hydro setup. I actually haven't had these issues at all even without the spacers at first.

jeeeep

Hooked
I remember you posting this when I was doing my hydro setup. I actually haven't had these issues at all even without the spacers at first.

if you don't have any flop on it that's great!

The flop clunk drove me nuts on the PR44 with the PSC ram. Wonder if synergy made any changes, i noticed they did change the misalingment washers.

jeeeep

Hooked
Check out the WFO tie rod we carry. Can’t be beat for the price. 2” DOM and 1 ton tie-rod ends.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

that looks pretty interesting with the tie rod "cartridge" 2" is diameter is pretty large!

how do the tie rod lock washers work to keep it from rocking? are they like synergy's misalignment washers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

A cheap Harbor Freight press will do wonders to straighten out your factory tie-rod. I've done it more times than I can count over the last 10 years. Aside from that, I've been running Currie tie-rods and have been super happy with them. I know more recently, people have been running WFO with good results as well.

Exodus 4x4

that looks pretty interesting with the tie rod "cartridge" 2" is diameter is pretty large!

how do the tie rod lock washers work to keep it from rocking? are they like synergy's misalignment washers?

Pretty much the same thing. We carry the Currie stuff as well but honestly this tie-rod is a better value. Dwiggles did all the math and came to the conclusion it’s stronger than Curries best tie-rod. I actually make a lot less money selling these than I would a Currie but I’d rather see people get THEIR money’s worth, rather than mine.

A cheap Harbor Freight press will do wonders to straighten out your factory tie-rod. I've done it more times than I can count over the last 10 years. Aside from that, I've been running Currie tie-rods and have been super happy with them. I know more recently, people have been running WFO with good results as well.

Excellent. Thank you!

Pretty much the same thing. We carry the Currie stuff as well but honestly this tie-rod is a better value. Dwiggles did all the math and came to the conclusion it’s stronger than Curries best tie-rod. I actually make a lot less money selling these than I would a Currie but I’d rather see people get THEIR money’s worth, rather than mine.

I will check em out. Thanks!

I will check it out. Thank you!

I will check it out. Thank you!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Yup, I was all set to buy the $730 Currie tie rod Until I looked into the WFO a bit more. You cant go wrong with either choice. But here is how I broke it down myself :thankyou:

WFO Cost VS. Currie: ~60%
WFO Stength VS. Currie: ~113%

"WHAT!?!?!"

"No, Is that right? I'm going to check myself..."

"Well damn, That IS right, huh...."

So, the WFO costs almost 40% less and it is 13% stronger... and still MADE IN THE USA... sign me up!

It's simple math.

Last edited:

JKbrick

As a business owner I appreciate your business ethics. It has to be about the money honestly but not always about how much of it if that makes sense. Good guys win in the end!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

As a business owner I appreciate your business ethics. It has to be about the money honestly but not always about how much of it if that makes sense. Good guys win in the end!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I hope so! Yeah man I could also make more money selling crap to people, but I have a conscience. Not that Currie is crap, but when you have as much overhead as they do you have to charge higher prices than you probably really want to. I’m fine making a few bucks here and there selling QUALITY, as long as the volume is high enough to allow it.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Timely topic; facing similar debate.

Looking at your site, Exodus, I note the WFO Jeep JK Extreme Tie Rod, the only WFO product listed. What do you generally recommend folks pair with it, given there's no WFO drag link as well?

Top Bottom