Jeep LJ Ideas

PurpleHayes519

I currently have a stock 04 LJ. I'm looking to put a little money into it this summer to be able to hit at least some easier trails. What would you guys recommend that I first do to get my Jeep to be a little bit more 'trail rated?' As of right now, I'm thinking a 2" suspension lift. But that is honestly where I draw a blank. I'm very new to building rigs so any input would be greatly appreciated. If you could also keep a tight budget in mind. :broke:

Adam

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't have them already, rocker guards and tow points front and rear. That alone will get you going far :yup:

Indefatigable

You can go with a simple coil spacer and shocks to help fit bigger tires.

I would highly recommend the JKS 1.25 body lift, the 1" motor mount lift and belly up skid plates (variety of companies make them). With your auto trans, make sure you get skid plates that protect the trans and the engine oil pans.

The belly up will probably make the biggest performance difference as the factory skid plate is just a shovel. Thus the belly up skid plates greatly increase the break over angle.

have fun!

PurpleHayes519

I would highly recommend the JKS 1.25 body lift, the 1" motor mount lift and belly up skid plates (variety of companies make them). With your auto trans, make sure you get skid plates that protect the trans and the engine oil pans.

The belly up will probably make the biggest performance difference as the factory skid plate is just a shovel. Thus the belly up skid plates greatly increase the break over angle.

have fun!

I think I will do exactly as you and wayoflife have suggested. Thank you both for the input. Useful and budget friendly suggestions to get started on building a rig.

Adam

4x4Brit

have fun!

If I was doing it over knowing what I know now, the above is the way I would go. With all of that plus lockers, you can have some fun plus have a great platform for a lift and bigger tires later on.

JK&Beyond

If you don't have them already, rocker guards and tow points front and rear. That alone will get you going far :yup:

This and someone to go with. Tow points wont do anything unless you have a winch or a buddy to pull you. Plus, off roading is always more fun with others! I think theres a write up that WOL did on his recovery gear. Recovery gear and knowing how to use it is the way to go. Everyone, even big Moby needs a winch and pull out sometimes. the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Tow points & recovery gear, then skids and armor, then big lift. Just my :twocents:

PurpleHayes519

From what everyone is saying, recovery points are an absolute must. It makes perfect sense to me. It can be a bit overwhelming to look at all the info of what is possible to do when, in reality, I was clueless until this thread. I truly appreciate everyones' input as far as where to start. :thumb:

Discount Tire

I've got a 2004 LJ too. WATCH OUT! Once you start modifying it.... Your doomed. (In the best way of course).

Here's what mine looked like when I bought it about 2.5 years ago....

Travis_LJ.jpg

Here's how it sits today and I'm about ready to start chopping it up some more here in the next few weeks..

35" tires, 17" Level 8 ZX Wheels with bolt on scratch guards, Hanson front and rear bumpers + Hanson sliders, Piaa lights (not shown), 4.5" full traction long arm...

i-j3wbt9Q-L.jpg

Next: Gas tank skid, flat fenders, new gears, winch and possibly 37" tires...

You Jeep is pretty capable the way it sits stock but with a small suspension lift and some 33" tires you'd notice a big difference.

-Travis

Last edited:

PurpleHayes519

I've got a 2004 LJ too. WATCH OUT! Once you start modifying it.... Your doomed. (In the best way of course).

Here's what mine looked like when I bought it about 2.5 years ago....

Travis_LJ.jpg

Here's how it sits today and I'm about ready to start chopping it up some more here in the next few weeks..

35" tires, 17" Level 8 ZX Wheels with bolt on scratch guards, Hanson front and rear bumpers + Hanson sliders, Piaa lights (not shown), 4.5" full traction long arm...

i-j3wbt9Q-L.jpg

Next: Gas tank skid, flat fenders, new gears, winch and possibly 37" tires...

You Jeep is pretty capable the way it sits stock but with a small suspension lift and some 33" tires you'd notice a big difference.

-Travis

Sweet LJ man! People say mine is not a true Wrangler though. The original owner couldn't decide between a Lexus or Jeep so got the best of both worlds. Haha. Leather seats, A/C, chrome :eye roll: I love it though.

Discount Tire

Sweet LJ man! People say mine is not a true Wrangler though. The original owner couldn't decide between a Lexus or Jeep so got the best of both worlds. Haha. Leather seats, A/C, chrome :eye roll: I love it though.

Dang, luxury for sure. You're going to have a lot of fun with it. Just don't be too mad the first time it rains and you don't have the top on. :)

JK&Beyond

From what everyone is saying, recovery points are an absolute must. It makes perfect sense to me. It can be a bit overwhelming to look at all the info of what is possible to do when, in reality, I was clueless until this thread. I truly appreciate everyones' input as far as where to start. :thumb:

Here's a good way to start deciding how to mod. Ask, "If I get on a trail, will this help me complete it? Is it absolutely necessary?" This is why we say get tow points and skids. Then consider free mods (i.e. trimming fender flares, cutting the front bumper to make it stubby, cleaning headlights for better visibility). The more you can do for free, the more you will do. You will be spending less money on your Jeep (at first) but still feel like you are modding the tar out of it.

Unfortunately some of the best mods are the ones no one cant see :bummed: Skid plates, intake, tow points (their low profile). But you will be dang happy when a rock smashes your under carriage and doesn't break something major. Or your engine doesn't ingest water because you upgraded that intake. Once you feel like you've done the lame things, move on to the cool things like lights, bumpers, cool wheels, and it goes on and on and on= $$$$ lol.

Hope this helps a brotha out. Btw, yours IS a Jeep, i love Lj's.

PurpleHayes519

Here's a good way to start deciding how to mod. Ask, "If I get on a trail, will this help me complete it? Is it absolutely necessary?" This is why we say get tow points and skids. Then consider free mods (i.e. trimming fender flares, cutting the front bumper to make it stubby, cleaning headlights for better visibility). The more you can do for free, the more you will do. You will be spending less money on your Jeep (at first) but still feel like you are modding the tar out of it.

Unfortunately some of the best mods are the ones no one cant see :bummed: Skid plates, intake, tow points (their low profile). But you will be dang happy when a rock smashes your under carriage and doesn't break something major. Or your engine doesn't ingest water because you upgraded that intake. Once you feel like you've done the lame things, move on to the cool things like lights, bumpers, cool wheels, and it goes on and on and on= $$$$ lol.

Hope this helps a brotha out. Btw, yours IS a Jeep, i love Lj's.

That without a doubt helps a lot. One day I'll be as knowledgeable as you all in the off road/Jeep world, hopefully.

Top Bottom