Build it or list it

ElwoodBlues

So I've had my 2008 JK since i bought it new 10 years ago this month. I have 50K on my BFG 33" KM2s and considering major changes. My X is unique in that I have the electronic swaybar disconnect and rear factory locker (rubicon rear with 3.73s). I need new tires and need to regear as I really want 37s, but I have other concerns (like the 3.8 motor).

For me to move forward with new tires, I have to get more power and I'm looking at a new complete front axle and regear my rear (cheapest shop here is $900/axle). The 4:1 Tcase is on the menu at some point also. This is my first jeep (and paid for) with bumpers, rocker guards, dual tops; it does hold some sentimental value as my kids grew up with it. Its driven short distances daily but not for daily commutes (company car with the 3.6 as of last week, ironically).

So my delimina is what would others do: invest the money into their current JK or upgrade to a used Rubi 2012 or newer for the 3.6?

J

JKDream

So I've had my 2008 JK since i bought it new 10 years ago this month. I have 50K on my BFG 33" KM2s and considering major changes. My X is unique in that I have the electronic swaybar disconnect and rear factory locker (rubicon rear with 3.73s). I need new tires and need to regear as I really want 37s, but I have other concerns (like the 3.8 motor).

For me to move forward with new tires, I have to get more power and I'm looking at a new complete front axle and regear my rear (cheapest shop here is $900/axle). The 4:1 Tcase is on the menu at some point also. This is my first jeep (and paid for) with bumpers, rocker guards, dual tops; it does hold some sentimental value as my kids grew up with it. Its driven short distances daily but not for daily commutes (company car with the 3.6 as of last week, ironically).

So my delimina is what would others do: invest the money into their current JK or upgrade to a used Rubi 2012 or newer for the 3.6?

Depends how much more you'd be spending on a 12+ versus what you'd pay for upgrades.
I've only driven a 3.8 on 35's, but I can tell you a 3.6 on 37's sucks just as bad. Both have 5:13's.
I'd be more inclined to do a V8 swap on the older model than go with a newer V6.
That's my opinion though. If it's only a couple grand, then go newer.
I have no idea what used JK's are worth out there, they hold value like crazy here.

That^

And keep looking around a grand an axle regear is high unless that includes a front locker.

Out of curiosity, what’s your job that gave you a jeep as a company car?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

Having both a 2010 JKUR 3.8 and a 2015 Sport JKU 3.6. I would say the biggest advantage going newer would be the transmission and if it's a Rubicon. Power wise they are both very close on the power band. IMO it's the new transmission that really makes it so nice and smooth.

However, I'd steer clear of the 2012 as they had numerous issues. A 2012 will likely be out of warranty and I wouldn't want to risk having a warranty issue and have the dealer or FCA denying it.

My daily driver is the 3.8 JKUR, BFG 37 KO2's, 4.88 gearing. I drive it at least 4x a year from Tx to Utah no issues. I've also added a Scream'n Demon coil and wires and that solved the sketchy idle they tend to have. Also running the Dynomax Evo Competition cat back - I had the VT muffler before and have to say the Evo Comp feels like it opened up the mid range power and added some seat of the pants quicker response.

If you want to go newer, I'd skip the 2012-2013. If you want to keep your X and want more power, I'd focus on suspension, axles, regear, tires First.

If you don't have D44 up front, I'd look at a PR44 geared and regear the rear to match. You'd be surprised how well the 3.8 handles with proper gearing.

After that I'd probably go LS swap.

Personally, I'm saving for an LS swap but recently looked at the new JL and now .... :doh::doh::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom