Coilovers rubbing stock tires

Cashburn

I just had a shop install Rock Krawler 3.5 long arm pro lift with Evo coilovers. I left it on stock wheels tires as I was waiting for new meats for a few weeks. The shop said it was going to be fine. Now I drove home and I got my tires rubbing my coilovers and my Jeep feeling like it’s on skates with death wobble when I fade right. I’m fucking pissed. Just dropped 2800 down these guys for installation plus fix steering stabilizer and jks steering damper. It’s fucking scary driving this rig. Called Evo and they said they wouldn’t have let it off the rack this way. Now gotta get spacers just to drive on roads normally... hopefully. Talk to me Goose.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I just had a shop install Rock Krawler 3.5 long arm pro lift with Evo coilovers. I left it on stock wheels tires as I was waiting for new meats for a few weeks. The shop said it was going to be fine. Now I drove home and I got my tires rubbing my coilovers and my Jeep feeling like it’s on skates with death wobble when I fade right. I’m fucking pissed. Just dropped 2800 down these guys for installation plus fix steering stabilizer and jks steering damper. It’s fucking scary driving this rig. Called Evo and they said they wouldn’t have let it off the rack this way. Now gotta get spacers just to drive on roads normally... hopefully. Talk to me Goose.

Not enough info here to diagnose your problem, other than that the shop that did your install is incompetent. Take it back and have them fix the issues.

Cashburn

Not enough info here to diagnose your problem, other than that the shop that did your install is incompetent. Take it back and have them fix the issues.

Happy to supply more info. What do you need to know? Should I really trust a shop again that did this or go to another one?

fiend

Caught the Bug
EVO says 3.5” backspacing recommended for coilovers. Your stock wheels have 6.25” backspacing. That probably explains the rubbing. You could get some 1.5” or 1.75” wheel spacers (eg Spidertrax) to try to solve that problem, but you may just need new wheels with less backspacing.

The “on skates” feel maybe insufficient caster. Have you shop check that. I’m not familiar with that lift, but most lifts of that height will have some means to adjust caster, such as adjustable control arms. Stock caster is 4.2 degrees. Have your shop try to get that.

Describe the “death wobble” when “fade right” in more detail. In my experience death wobble comes on when going straight. Are you sure it’s death wobble, as in violent shaking that feels like your front axle is going to fall out?

How many miles on the jeep? How worn are the ball joints, unit bearings, tie rod ends? Are the track bar bolts torqued to 125ft-lbs?

Last edited:

Cashburn

EVO says 3.5” backspacing recommended for coilovers. Your stock wheels have 6.25” backspacing. That probably explains the rubbing. You could get some 1.5” or 1.75” wheel spacers (eg Spidertrax) to try to solve that problem, but you may just need new wheels with less backspacing.

The “on skates” feel maybe insufficient caster. Have you shop check that. I’m not familiar with that lift, but most lifts of that height will have some means to adjust caster, such as adjustable control arms. Stock caster is 4.2 degrees. Have your shop try to get that.

Describe the “death wobble” when “fade right” in more detail. In my experience death wobble comes on when going straight. Are you sure it’s death wobble, as in violent shaking that feels like your front axle is going to fall out?

How many miles on the jeep? How worn are the ball joints, unit bearings, tie rod ends? Are the track bar bolts torqued to 125ft-lbs?

Info is greatly appreciated. It’s not death wobble but it kicks like it... almost. I looked at the coilovers and they’re rubbed on both sides and black with rubber marks from tire. I can only come to the conclusion that when I’m turning with any kind of speed the tire is beating on the coilovers. As far as the steering, it is crazy light and super loose. Side note: I order some HD springs from Evo for the back in anticipation of adding their large tire carrier to balance out the additional weight. When I asked the tech if he put them in he said he thought they were for the front and when I corrected him, he just responded with, “oh well then that’s where we put them.” I was so excited at the time to get my first ride with the lift in that I just let that comment slide. In retrospect, I should have just slowed down and found out for sure. Would that possibly make a big difference in the steering? Jeep has 30k on it. They didn’t mention that any of those parts were worn.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Info is greatly appreciated. It’s not death wobble but it kicks like it... almost. I looked at the coilovers and they’re rubbed on both sides and black with rubber marks from tire. I can only come to the conclusion that when I’m turning with any kind of speed the tire is beating on the coilovers. As far as the steering, it is crazy light and super loose. Side note: I order some HD springs from Evo for the back in anticipation of adding their large tire carrier to balance out the additional weight. When I asked the tech if he put them in he said he thought they were for the front and when I corrected him, he just responded with, “oh well then that’s where we put them.” I was so excited at the time to get my first ride with the lift in that I just let that comment slide. In retrospect, I should have just slowed down and found out for sure. Would that possibly make a big difference in the steering? Jeep has 30k on it. They didn’t mention that any of those parts were worn.

The “light” steering may be insufficient caster. It should be 4.2 degrees or close to it.

I don’t have coilovers so I can’t speak from experience. But I would not be surprised if having springs that are too stiff on the front could contribute to your dissatisfaction with your steering.

Honestly, from what you have said, your shop sounds incompetent. Try to get a refund. Or see if they have a different tech, who knows what he’s doing, that can fix all the shoddy work that you have already paid for.

Top Bottom