2018 gearing question

Jeeptang

First post,lol.so be easy on me.
Might be trading my 14 Rubi off. Since the new Jeep has no miles hardly what all would be needed to change gears. Want 4.88. seems like just a gear set and I'm good to go? No master install needed , correct?

Attachments

• KIMG0216.jpg
    KIMG0216.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 144

FallonJeeper

Went back and re-read your post. You're looking to possibly regear your 2018 that you haven't purchased yet.

Kind of need to know what you're getting and what size tires you plan to use.

Last edited:

Jeeptang

Yes regearing a 2018 Rubicon jku. Has 3:73 gears. Auto.
I'm going to run 4.88 gears. Just curious what all I need. I don't see the point in a master install kit...
37" Cooper stt pro. 3.5" rk lift.

FallonJeeper

We did the same setup (4.88 and 37"), on our 2016 JKUR automatic, last year. I'll have to check the receipt to see if we paid for the master kit.

FallonJeeper

I would tend to agree. However, I'm sure somebody will disagree.

If you don't do the master kit, the worst that could happen is gear oil leak? Then you could spend the money you saved on parts and labor to resolve the issue.

The best that could happen is you'd save money and you have no premature issues.

WJCO

Meme King
You can get by without the master rebuilt kit, however, you'll need a new pinion seal and crush sleeve no matter what. You risk damaging the inner pinion bearing while pulling it off, so have one of those on hand that is the EXACT same bearing as the proper race will be in the housing still. Might as well get an inner pinion bearing and race ahead of time.

Even if you install the gears without changing anything else, sometimes you still have to make adjustments so you might as well have the rebuild kit on hand. Worst case scenario, you can resell the carrier bearings and races on eBay. Contact Exodus Jeeps, they have some good pricing on gears and bearing kits.

Exodus 4x4

Gear work isn’t something to be cheap on. Spend the extra money and get the master kits. If the shop screws up your pinion bearings trying to remove them then you’ll be stuck spending that money anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

First post,lol.so be easy on me.
Might be trading my 14 Rubi off. Since the new Jeep has no miles hardly what all would be needed to change gears. Want 4.88. seems like just a gear set and I'm good to go? No master install needed , correct?

I've had gears done 3 times in my current JK, never needed a master install kit. I'm at 50k miles now.
You really don't need it if your Jeep is new. Any competent shop should be able to get the old bearings out without damage.

Top Bottom