Off road evolution tire carrier and corner guards

rogerk93

So after I learned my lesson the expensive way of course I ordered a evo tire carrier and corner guards to replace my teraflex hinge carrier for my 40in. The teraflex started to rattle plus it doesn’t raise the tire enough for clearance so it hits my bumper. The question is in some pictures I seen it looks like some people welded on the brackets to the corner guards but I don’t see evo saying those brackets needs to be welded on, will it be fine if the are just bolted up or should I consider welding them on?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Are you seeing any issues with the aluminum guards holding up to the weight of the carrier ?

I have the aluminum guards and the carrier waiting to be installed.

Lol, just put it on Friday so can’t say for sure yet. Doubtful it’ll be an issue as thick as they are. Take your time installing it.

Ddays

Hooked
I can't think of any structural reason why they couldn't be welded on. Having said that someone will probably post up the reason you shouldn't.....

Edit: One good reason I can think of why it would be a good idea to weld it is so you don't have to deal with the goddam pinch seam being dead nuts centered where the holes get drilled on the passenger side mounts :mad:

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I believe the bolts for the carrier go through the corner braces and provide additional support for the carrier portion to the body.

Otherwise, the entire cage is supported by just the welds and the nutserts.

I suppose you could weld and bolt the cage supports??

Exodus 4x4

Edit: One good reason I can think of why it would be a good idea to weld it is so you don't have to deal with the goddam pinch seam being dead nuts centered where the holes get drilled on the passenger side mounts :mad:

That’s exactly why I would recommend welding them. Had a blast with the pinch seems.

zimm

Caught the Bug
There's a hell of a lot more metal to hold the weight when you run the 8 bolts through the body. I wouldn't run them without the bolts, but bolted and welded would work. I have aluminum skins, so not an option for me either. I wouldn't trust just the nutserts to hold up a 40", the sheet metal is nearly paper thin.

Get 4 longer bolts so you can deal with the pinch seam issues.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
There is no need to weld them on, there’s so many bolts to help distribute the weight it’s not needed.

Call EVO MFG they will tell you the same. Eddie has had this carrier on Moby for how long ? It’s bolted not welded.

Ddays

Hooked
There is no need to weld them on, there’s so many bolts to help distribute the weight it’s not needed.

Call EVO MFG they will tell you the same. Eddie has had this carrier on Moby for how long ? It’s bolted not welded.

That fucking pinch seam tho :crazyeyes: Don't mean to sound like a little bitch but if those brackets were a half inch longer they clear the pinch seam and I'm not cussing like a mofo trying to smash the damn things so the bolts work.

Top Bottom