Any Problem Lifting JK Using Forklift On Jack Points?

KJs JK

Just curious if anyone uses a towmotor to lift their jeep onto jack stands by putting the forks under the axles?

The jack points seem to be on the axles anyway, and the jack stands only have a small surface area compared to the 6" widetow motor forks. Was planning on lifting the front and rear independently.

I was nervous about using the towmotor on the axles the first time i put the Jeep on jack stands, so i used the forks to pick up each wheel and then placed a jack stand under each one and that makes me more nervous about the jeep slipping off one or more of the jack stands.

I'm always careful about lifting with the towmotor and don't beat on anything I own so no worries about just jerking around.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Problem is that it isn't the right tool for the job. It is sketchy as hell. I would never recommend ANYONE do it EVER...

That said, I've done it... more than once. but never from the axles :idontknow: Seems like you would be putting quite a large moment onto the lift with the contact point being so far forward on the forks... Just something to think about. IF you are DETERMINED to use the WRONG tool for the job, I would try to think of a smarter way to do dumb things, but that's just my opinion.

Again, This is a terrible Idea

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Yikes! Sounds like one of those Evening News leading stories: "Tonight an unfortunate accident occurred involving a Jeep and a forklift".......
Use a jack!

KJs JK

Yikes! Sounds like one of those Evening News leading stories: "Tonight an unfortunate accident occurred involving a Jeep and a forklift".......
Use a jack!

I definitely can understand the concern, and it sounds ridiculous, but it works and is safe to do lifting under the tires. And if it falls off anything, I'm not under it with a jack in my hand.

I guess my question was, are the axles strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle on a surface 6 inches wide in two places? Will this damage the axles at all? I gotta think that banging into rocks and stuff on the trail is pretty rough on the axles.

My next question is, how strong are the tow hooks on the front? Strong enough to strap to the forklift and pick up the front end? Should make the fluid film application easier if it was tipped up so i could spray outward instead of upward.

And let the Jeeper who has never undertaken a sketchy course of action cast the first stone lol I've seen enough pictures of guys flexing their jeeps out with towmotors let alone the sketchy stuff that happens on the trail, far away from help lol

Ddays

Hooked
I definitely can understand the concern, and it sounds ridiculous, but it works and is safe to do lifting under the tires. And if it falls off anything, I'm not under it with a jack in my hand.

I guess my question was, are the axles strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle on a surface 6 inches wide in two places? Will this damage the axles at all? I gotta think that banging into rocks and stuff on the trail is pretty rough on the axles.

My next question is, how strong are the tow hooks on the front? Strong enough to strap to the forklift and pick up the front end? Should make the fluid film application easier if it was tipped up so i could spray outward instead of upward.

And let the Jeeper who has never undertaken a sketchy course of action cast the first stone lol I've seen enough pictures of guys flexing their jeeps out with towmotors let alone the sketchy stuff that happens on the trail, far away from help lol

Jesus Christ - you trying to kill yourself? :cheesy: No fucking way would I crawl under a Jeep being lifted by a tow hook!
And you said using a tow motor to lift your Jeep by "lifting under the axles" in your original post - that's a helluva lot different scenario than lifting under the tires!

Edit: Don't be this guy!

ProppedUp-3.jpg

Last edited:

BobNH

There are a lot of things not to do with a forklift that almost certainly translate well to a tow motor, primary being do not lift a load with the tips of your forks. I am not sure how much bite you get the way you want to do this, but I am assuming not much.
If this is not your and you are using it at work, you are jeapordizing your career if they have evwn one half an eye to safety.
Enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

I put my jack stands where the owners manual says the jack points are, on each side of the axle in the front. Don't know if this is good for the axles but it's what the manual says.

:thinking: We done here?

Top Bottom