AEV high steer kit

jmo801

I’m looking into getting this aev high steer kit that doesn’t involve any drilling or welding. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Any problems installing and did it do what is intended to do? I’ll be installing it on a jkur with 4 inch lift. Thanks for any info! If someone has already brought up this subject please send me in the direction of the thread. I tried to use the search function to find something on this particular kit but could not find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Overall, it's a pretty straight forward and decent kit but I would still HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you have the brackets WELDED ON after they've been installed. The forces the brackets will see from the track bar are significant and checking your bolts for proper torque will be difficult once everything is installed. Failure to keep these bolts maintained can cause the bracket to fail. I have personally seen them tear off the axle due to hard use.

jmo801

Overall, it's a pretty straight forward and decent kit but I would still HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you have the brackets WELDED ON after they've been installed. The forces the brackets will see from the track bar are significant and checking your bolts for proper torque will be difficult once everything is installed. Failure to keep these bolts maintained can cause the bracket to fail. I have personally seen them tear off the axle due to hard use.

Thanks for the information! I was afraid of something like that being the case. I just don’t know any welders myself or a shop that would do that welding for me is why I was looking at something like that. I think I could handle drilling the knuckle for the most part if I had to. I’ve just read some horror stories about drilling not going so well so I was trying to shy away from that if I could. We don’t do too much hard wheeling besides the occasional trip to Moab a few times a year and a few easy trails we have near the city. Do you feel like those brackets may hold up to that kind of wheeling and mainly daily driving? Of course getting it welded would be the main goal so I’m just wondering for the mean time if it would hold up until I find someone to weld the brackets for me.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I can’t speak to the AEV kit, but I can report that I had a bolt on Synergy bracket for several years with no problems. Use some lock tite and check it periodically, and you’ll likely be fine unless you’re doing a lot of hard wheeling.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the information! I was afraid of something like that being the case. I just don’t know any welders myself or a shop that would do that welding for me is why I was looking at something like that. I think I could handle drilling the knuckle for the most part if I had to. I’ve just read some horror stories about drilling not going so well so I was trying to shy away from that if I could. We don’t do too much hard wheeling besides the occasional trip to Moab a few times a year and a few easy trails we have near the city. Do you feel like those brackets may hold up to that kind of wheeling and mainly daily driving? Of course getting it welded would be the main goal so I’m just wondering for the mean time if it would hold up until I find someone to weld the brackets for me.

You should be able to find a mobile welder who can come out to your house and burn it on for cheap. I know several people who've done just this. Do the prep for them and it'll be done in minutes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn.. if that’s the case I may steer away from that one then. Which kit do you think you would go with instead?

I know of NO bolt on track bar relocation bracket that won't have bolts that loosen up with wheeling. Again, there are a LOT of forces placed on the bracket and NOTHING short of welding it on will keep it in place.

jmo801

I know of NO bolt on track bar relocation bracket that won't have bolts that loosen up with wheeling. Again, there are a LOT of forces placed on the bracket and NOTHING short of welding it on will keep it in place.

Alright. Sounds like I need to find myself someone who can weld the brackets for me then. I’m the kind of person who would rather do it right the first time then to have problems down the road. I love having peace of mind. Maybe I can contact someone from a local Jeep club who might be willing to do it for me. Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Damn.. if that’s the case I may steer away from that one then. Which kit do you think you would go with instead?

I run a lot of hard dirt roads with mine. They shake and loosen everything that isn’t bullet proof. I’ve replaced my entire axle and eliminated the bracket problem but if I hadn’t I would have welded it on. It’s great for correcting the geometry though, so I do recommend it from that point. But like anything bolted on, just watch it.

Top Bottom