Rear pion bearing went bas

15FireCrackerJK

So my rear pinion bearing is going bad. I hope the dealership warranties it but doubt it with the mods and running 37 inch tires. I called 4wheel parts to get a quote to see about fixing it. They want to do a master kit so total it’s going to be about a 700 and change job. Would you recommend going that route or seeing if I can swing putting in a Dana 60? I don’t plan on going over 37s. If it was the front be no question to putting in a pro rock 44 housing and swapping out the internals but would the rear be fine for the life of the Jeep in keeping the stock 44 housing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
So my rear pinion bearing is going bad. I hope the dealership warranties it but doubt it with the mods and running 37 inch tires. I called 4wheel parts to get a quote to see about fixing it. They want to do a master kit so total it’s going to be about a 700 and change job. Would you recommend going that route or seeing if I can swing putting in a Dana 60? I don’t plan on going over 37s. If it was the front be no question to putting in a pro rock 44 housing and swapping out the internals but would the rear be fine for the life of the Jeep in keeping the stock 44 housing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

$700 for a bearing job vs $5000 or so for a 60? Have you thought this through at all?

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug

If you're looking for a good excuse to put in a Dana 60, now's the chance. But it's far from being over for your rear end I imagine. Once you get everything apart and determine how bad the damage is, you may need to do all new bearings which is probably why they are recommending a master kit.

But it depends on how many miles and how things look when they get in there. If it's an isolated case with just the bearing, then it can be replaced if everything else looks good, all they need to do are the pinion bearings. They can reuse the shims that are on your pinion now as well. OR...while you're in there you can do a master rebuild kit including axle bearings I assume and shims...etc.

Again just depends on how bad everything else looks. But if it's just the bearing then as long as no shims are destroyed or carrier bearings are destroyed in the removal process (which being a shop that specializes in this stuff shouldn't be an issue, but it is 4 Wheel Parts) you can reuse the shims all around. Good luck and get a second opinion and price.
Find another shop, get a quote, and never go back to 4WP for anything unless you want a light bar.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

15FireCrackerJK

If you're looking for a good excuse to put in a Dana 60, now's the chance. But it's far from being over for your rear end I imagine. Once you get everything apart and determine how bad the damage is, you may need to do all new bearings which is probably why they are recommending a master kit.

But it depends on how many miles and how things look when they get in there. If it's an isolated case with just the bearing, then it can be replaced if everything else looks good, all they need to do are the pinion bearings. They can reuse the shims that are on your pinion now as well. OR...while you're in there you can do a master rebuild kit including axle bearings I assume and shims...etc.

Again just depends on how bad everything else looks. But if it's just the bearing then as long as no shims are destroyed or carrier bearings are destroyed in the removal process (which being a shop that specializes in this stuff shouldn't be an issue, but it is 4 Wheel Parts) you can reuse the shims all around. Good luck and get a second opinion and price.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Sounds good I’ll go get a couple quotes tomorrow. Was primarily looking to see if it’s even worth fixing or will it hold up fine with sticking to 37s. Or should I get the 60 instead. Thanks

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
That’s why I was asking I have the money to upgrade the axels but is it worth going from a 44 to 60 if I’m only going to be running 37.

Well you know what they say, go big or go home! Imagine if you get the 60s you're going to want to run 40s! It is inevitable.... But again, if you want to do a 60 in the rear or even upgrade both axles.. You're going to have to make that decision. But I'm guessing it sounds like you want to do this or are looking for a good enough reason 😉 LoL

15FireCrackerJK

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Cool thanks for the advice. I was kinda wanting to use this as an excuse with the wife to upgrade the axel I’m still hoping it’s the front that way I will be upgrading to a prorock

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Cool thanks for the advice. I was kinda wanting to use this as an excuse with the wife to upgrade the axel I’m still hoping it’s the front that way I will be upgrading to a prorock

Very nice! I kind of gathered that you were wanting to upgrade anyway and just looking for an excuse. And depending on which one it is you can always fix it and then turn around and sell it.. Or so it how it is and somebody will get some good use out of it. Help recoup some of your money.

Top Bottom