Keep saving or start building?

The BAD Influence

I want 37s!
I picked up the following, new in the box, for $100: G2 rear chromoly axle shafts, 4.88 ring and pinon, master install kit.
Ball joints are gone, Crown being delivered tomorrow for $170

I would really like to put EVO gussetts in while the ball joints are being replaced $60 plus welding cost. $100? $200? not sure.

I've got about $2,500 saved towards my trail leader package.

If I spend that $2,500 now, I could have the front gussetts, new ball joints, Revolution gears, and axles in the front, and an ELocker for the rear.

The rest of the story:
I live 3 1/2 hours from Moab. We've become really good friends with two couples who both have a 2nd home in Moab, so we're going more and more. I'm getting more confindent with my wheeling ability, and these guys keep pushing me to do more. They both have LJs with 37s. I have read so many threads about not putting any money into my axle, buy once and be done, it all depends on how you wheel...etc.
I know I want 37s, but would prefer 5.13 gears. So I know that at some point I will still get the trail leader package. If I go ahead with this mod, I'm starting over on my savings towards the upgrade I really want, and I wont be able to reuse any of the internals. Build it and wheel, or be patient and keep saving???????
(I have RE 3.5" lift, core4x4 adjustable CAs, progrips, LOD destroyer rear bumper with tire carrier)

Last edited:

TRLJNKY

Curious what the feedback will be but the route your asking about is how I want to go. Im more interested in gears, locker, and axle setup than suspension (strength in componenets and driveability). No way I can do both at the same time. I do dream of being on 37's at one point but I know I need to build the componenets to handle it first. I wish I could do both. Nice find though for all that gear!

aka cavfighter

zimm

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't dump a penny into the D30 front. You got what you need for the rear, so save some more for a pro rock D44 front end and then put the 4.88's and locker in the rear.

You'd be surprised how far you can go in Moab on 35's. Most of the jeeps in my group were on 35's, some on 37's a few on 40's and the leader had a sick TJ with 42's. Guys on 35's did pritchett canyon, which is pretty tough. Sure they needed a winch once or twice, but they got it.

I would take some of that money, armor up your jeep, then do the axles right. Do you have some serious weld on sliders? Skid plate? Roll cage? That kind of stuff is important in the big rocks.

2" more tire height won't magically make your jeep unstoppable. Heck the guys on 40's and 42's only cleared a couple of more obstacles a day than we could over the course of the week. Not worth all the expense unless you do it all the time.

When it's time for 37's, get some beadlocks. You'll also quickly realize that you want hydraulic ram assist steering to help in the rocks too.

jeeeep

Hooked
I want 37s!
I picked up the following, new in the box, for $100: G2 rear chromoly axle shafts, 4.88 ring and pinon, master install kit.
Ball joints are gone, Crown being delivered tomorrow for $170

I would really like to put EVO gussetts in while the ball joints are being replaced $60 plus welding cost. $100? $200? not sure.

I've got about $2,500 saved towards my trail leader package.

If I spend that $2,500 now, I could have the front gussetts, new ball joints, Revolution gears, and axles in the front, and an ELocker for the rear.

The rest of the story:
I live 3 1/2 hours from Moab. We've become really good friends with two couples who both have a 2nd home in Moab, so we're going more and more. I'm getting more confindent with my wheeling ability, and these guys keep pushing me to do more. They both have LJs with 37s. I have read so many threads about not putting any money into my axle, buy once and be done, it all depends on how you wheel...etc.
I know I want 37s, but would prefer 5.13 gears. So I know that at some point I will still get the trail leader package. If I go ahead with this mod, I'm starting over on my savings towards the upgrade I really want, and I wont be able to reuse any of the internals. Build it and wheel, or be patient and keep saving???????
(I have RE 3.5" lift, core4x4 adjustable CAs, progrips, LOD destroyer rear bumper with tire carrier)

add the gussets while you're replacing ball joints and call it a day on the D30 - no need to spend any more on it.

with the items you already have for the rear, you don't need the trail leader package.

Contact Dynatrac and configure an axle for the front. You may be closer to your goal than you think.

Istall the rear e-locker with the gears when you get the PR44 and do it all at once.

In the meantime, pick your lines, carry a recovery strap and wheel away!

That's awesome you're so close to a great wheeling area and can get out so often :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
Another factor is your recovery time in spending that $2500. Can you replace it rather quickly or will it take you a while to save it back up? I'm not asking you to answer that publicly, that's entirely your business.
Honestly, I would save up for what you want in the end. Even if spending $2500 isn't a big deal, it sucks to spend twice

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’m confused by your post. It sounds like you already spent the money on all the front end upgrades except for the gussets. Why not just spend a couple hundred more for the gussets and run it gingerly while you save for the trail leader package?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A couple hundred here a couple hundred here and before you know it, you've just spent a grand of money that could have gone toward a better axle setup. Being that all your stuff is still new in the box, I would sell them and used the money to help buy what you're really wanting. If you install them, they won't be worth shit. But then, that's just me.

Exodus 4x4

^^^Sell what you got.

Save all your money for the trail leader package, and then call me[emoji23].

Seriously though, don’t spend any money on the D30. L

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The BAD Influence

I picked up the rear gears for $100, thinking it was a great deal. At the time, I had a Rubi front axle housing. The thought was to get internals for the front and be done. After more wheeling, and more reading, I decided I really want those 37s and a PR44, so I put everything up for sale. Rubi axle sold immediately (Thanks Exodus, I'd like to see pics of the build) not one bite on the axle shafts, R&P, and install kit. I've dropped the price a couple times and nothing.
The guys I wheel with have both told me to just get 35s and be done. Well just before the holidays we put new 35s on my sons truck. Having them side by side with the 33s on my Jeep, they're maybe 1.5" taller, which translates to .75" of clearance. It doesn't make sense to me, to throw in the gears I have and spend that $2,500 for .75" clearance.
A friend is a dealer for Teraflex and said he'd get their front 44 for me at his cost. Not sure if the savings are worth it.
Maybe I've answered my own question. Keep what I have, and keep saving.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I think your on the right track with “just keep saving”. I’m in a similar place with wanting to upgrade sooner than later but reading different posts and topics from members has me sold on saving up for a PR44. Hell I might get there and just hold off a little longer and go for the XD60 if I’m lucky.

TheGrendel

how much did you get for your Rubi axles? I have the Recon axles which are slightly bigger and bigger Cs. But, i'm kind of enamored with the Pro 44 after watching Rubicat on Fordyce.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I should add that one of my wheeling buddies didn't listen to advice and dumped money into his Dana 30. 4.88's, sleeves, trussed, and gusseted. He was on 35's. On his first try climbing Chewy in Pritchett Canyon the front diff exploded. After hours of rescue, he sourced a new carrier and gears in town, and we rebuilt the axle in the dirt campground. He ordered a pro-rock 44 the next day and put it in after getting home from the trip. All that dana 30 money was wasted, i think he's still trying to sell it. Not to mention all the wasted down time from his first trip to moab.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I should add that one of my wheeling buddies didn't listen to advice and dumped money into his Dana 30. 4.88's, sleeves, trussed, and gusseted. He was on 35's. On his first try climbing Chewy in Pritchett Canyon the front diff exploded. After hours of rescue, he sourced a new carrier and gears in town, and we rebuilt the axle in the dirt campground. He ordered a pro-rock 44 the next day and put it in after getting home from the trip. All that dana 30 money was wasted, i think he's still trying to sell it. Not to mention all the wasted down time from his first trip to moab.

Did he have a locker in his D30? That could kill it quick in Moab, I’d think.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
IF you had a rubicon 44 up front, Ied say spend the money on the c's

Being that you DONT, and your goal is 37s, It sucks, believe me i know, but i would wheel the piss out of what you have now, and just keep saving. if the ball joints are bad, I'ed just get crowns or something to throw in there, take the hit and keep saving. You're SO close. Give Exodus a call, and work out exactly what you need so you KNOW the goal.

You will be on top of the world placing that order knowing the sacrifice and patience you put in waiting for it. :thumb:

aTX427

There are of sensible trails to explore in Moab on a d30 until you have the money. With all the traction and weight of a JK, I would save a bit more and get a 60, especially if you think you are going to start expanding your skills. Most of the tough trails take 4-6 hours to complete, so breaking hard would make for a really bad day.

Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Another factor is your recovery time in spending that $2500. Can you replace it rather quickly or will it take you a while to save it back up? I'm not asking you to answer that publicly, that's entirely your business.
Honestly, I would save up for what you want in the end. Even if spending $2500 isn't a big deal, it sucks to spend twice

What I did. I’d say buy once, cry once. Your ultimate goal is the trail leader package, save for it and get it. Like everyone else said, I would do the cs before you do ball joints and call it a day

Top Bottom