Rubicon locker fix or replacement?

jmedgar

For a while my rear locker has had some trouble unlocking and it finally fully failed. It was stuck closed enough that I had to pull the cover to get the plate to move to the right to dis-engage. Even manually moving it definitely does not snap into place it just kind of slides over. I am trying to troubleshoot and decide if it is worth trying to fix or not. It seems like it could only be the magnetic solenoid or return spring but I am no expert.

My tests/thoughts:
I took a non-stainless razor blade and when the magnet is energized (11 volts coming through the connector) it works but is barely strong enough to feel, and won't hold it in place on the outside edge. Should it be stronger than that? If so is that a good place to start?

Is there a return spring pushing the pawls (maybe not the right term but the blocks that move left and lock into the left side) and if so it is replaceable? It currently seems like there is no tension pushing the plate in either direction.

Could the sensor be causing any of these issues? It seems to me that would only control the light coming on or off and that works as expected if you manually move the plate. It also seems like if it was real sticky it could cause drag on it locking but not unlocking.

And finally if it seems like it is the magnet can I pull the locker out of the housing to replace the part as long as I keep the shims in order, or would I need to reset backlash? I have never been inside a dif other than to change fluids before.

Or is the only answer an ARB with new shafts? I have plans to regear at which point i'd do ARB's and shafts since I no longer trust the elocker, but I wan't planning on it for a year or so, so if I can fix my current one for a few hundred bucks it would be worth it for now.

Thanks a ton for any information you can give me!

jeeeep

Hooked
For a while my rear locker has had some trouble unlocking and it finally fully failed. It was stuck closed enough that I had to pull the cover to get the plate to move to the right to dis-engage. Even manually moving it definitely does not snap into place it just kind of slides over. I am trying to troubleshoot and decide if it is worth trying to fix or not. It seems like it could only be the magnetic solenoid or return spring but I am no expert.

My tests/thoughts:
I took a non-stainless razor blade and when the magnet is energized (11 volts coming through the connector) it works but is barely strong enough to feel, and won't hold it in place on the outside edge. Should it be stronger than that? If so is that a good place to start?

Is there a return spring pushing the pawls (maybe not the right term but the blocks that move left and lock into the left side) and if so it is replaceable? It currently seems like there is no tension pushing the plate in either direction.

Could the sensor be causing any of these issues? It seems to me that would only control the light coming on or off and that works as expected if you manually move the plate. It also seems like if it was real sticky it could cause drag on it locking but not unlocking.

And finally if it seems like it is the magnet can I pull the locker out of the housing to replace the part as long as I keep the shims in order, or would I need to reset backlash? I have never been inside a dif other than to change fluids before.

Or is the only answer an ARB with new shafts? I have plans to regear at which point i'd do ARB's and shafts since I no longer trust the elocker, but I wan't planning on it for a year or so, so if I can fix my current one for a few hundred bucks it would be worth it for now.

Thanks a ton for any information you can give me!

that may be covered under the drive train warranty, have you taken it to the dealer?

is the bracket in place? I have only seen one fail and it was the bracket that holds the actuator in place that had broken - a $4 part

jesse3638

Hooked
that may be covered under the drive train warranty, have you taken it to the dealer?

is the bracket in place? I have only seen one fail and it was the bracket that holds the actuator in place that had broken - a $4 part
I see you have a 15. If it's still within warranty I'd look into that first. If not hopefully someone else chimes I'm as I'm interested as well.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmedgar

I see you have a 15. If it's still within warranty I'd look into that first. If not hopefully someone else chimes I'm as I'm interested as well.

Thanks for the advice. I bought it used and didn’t realize the powertrain warranty was 5 year 100,000. I’ll talk to the dealer and report back here with the news.

jmedgar

Wanted to report back that Jeep is going to warranty the locker. Thanks to jesse3638 for the recommendation! I wouldn't have thought to try the dealer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom