15k Miles and Leaking Oil

Rubicon310

As some may or may not know, I purchased my JKU band new from a Jeep dealership in July of 2016. Today as I was cleaning around my driveway, I noticed a very small oil stain directly under my jeep. I immediately got under the vehicle to check and found an oil Trail from around the bell housing. First thing you will will probably ask is, did you recently change your oil? Maybe it’s oil that spilled during the changing process. The answer to that is no, the oil was changed about 45-60 days ago and this leak just developed within the last few days. Please look at the pictures people.

I apologize in advance for my warranty ignorance but, what’s the warranty on a new Jeep? No engine modifications have been made. I’ve only replaced the suspension and bumpers. This shouldn’t void the warranty, correct? IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clark Griswold

I think I've seen a couple other posts on here with the same oil leak path and it turned out to be the oil filter housing cracked or something, you might want to look there too. You should have no issues with warranty.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mallavoider

IMG_4696.jpg
This is my 2015 and I had warranty done recently. The lift should not have anything to do with the issue at hand. As long as the dealer is a reputable one. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtdonthurt

id clean it first with some brake cleaner and try to see where it is coming from. I had many leaks on my 15 with low milage. the first started at the upper oil pan where the exhaust hanger brakes is connected too. they swore it wasn't the issue but after three attempts at fixing I said throw on a new upper pan and lets see. that fixed that issue. the upper pan has no gasket only rev sealant. the next was my rear main seal. mine was replaced three times. I blame it on operator error. I was told if not seated 100% problem would persist. so far thats fine as well. now(knock on wood) my oil cooler has been ok but if they over torque the cap, the plastic welds could snap and the oil would travel down the v in the top of the motor to around the trans bell housing. good luck

tippedover

The only way they will not cover something by warranty is if they can link the mod u did to the problem in this case the lift obviously does not effect the engine so ur good

Rubicon310

Dropped the jeep off at the dealership. The service advisor said the only way they wouldn’t cover it is if I hit it with a rock from off roading. I said “hit what with a rock? The rear main seal?” He said “no, the engine or transmission which would cause it to shift and begin to leak oil”.

I know it’s impossible to hit the seal that is why I responded to him with that answer but his reply didn’t sound right to me. Anyhow, I’ll wait to hear from them to find out what the problem is and if they will cover it.

dznuts3

As some may or may not know, I purchased my JKU band new from a Jeep dealership in July of 2016. Today as I was cleaning around my driveway, I noticed a very small oil stain directly under my jeep. I immediately got under the vehicle to check and found an oil Trail from around the bell housing. First thing you will will probably ask is, did you recently change your oil? Maybe it’s oil that spilled during the changing process. The answer to that is no, the oil was changed about 45-60 days ago and this leak just developed within the last few days. Please look at the pictures people.

I apologize in advance for my warranty ignorance but, what’s the warranty on a new Jeep? No engine modifications have been made. I’ve only replaced the suspension and bumpers. This shouldn’t void the warranty, correct? View attachment 292290

View attachment 292291

View attachment 292292

Oil filter adapter is my guess. That's what happened to mine. Hard to see but almost a guarantee

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubicon310

I think I've seen a couple other posts on here with the same oil leak path and it turned out to be the oil filter housing cracked or something, you might want to look there too. You should have no issues with warranty.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks everyone for information. Picked the JK up today and they replaced the oil filter housing. It was covered under warranty.

The counter person couldn’t provide any additional info other than it was replaced. But what would of caused that to leak? Crack? A seal? It started leaking after my Mojave Trail Trip.

Rubicon310

Here’s an update on my situation and perhaps some of you could shed some light as to what the heck is going on since the dealership doesn’t seem to be able to fix it.

The Jeep has been to the dealership 5 times now. This is what has happened each time.

1. Replaces the oil filter housing. It continued to leak after I brought it home.

2. Took the Jeep back and they added a dye. After keeping the Jeep for 2 days they said the oil I was seeing was residue from the initial leak. They pressure washed it and I picked it up.

3. The Jeep continued to leak. I took it back and they kept it for 5 days. They said the Jeep hasn’t leaked while in their parking lot or while idling. They pressure washed it and sent it back home.

4. They got approval from Chrysler to replace the rear main seal. They had it for 1 week. They said after replacing the rear main seal, it no longer leaked. I picked it up on Monday. Immediately when getting home I check and there was oil leaking out of the inspection ports under the engine. I wiped the oil off, drove it around and Tuesday there was new oil. I wiped it down again and by Wednesday afternoon there was oil again.

5. I took it back to the dealership yesterday afternoon. They are puzzled. The oil is clearly coming out from the two holes under the engine.

Any thoughts? IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I would guess there is a casting crack in the block somewhere at the rear of the engine. Another dye test is probably the best means of diagnosis for now.

dirtdonthurt

Ugh I felt like this with mine. I would clean it with brake cleaner a few times. And see if it is in fact residual cause any oil that wasn’t cleaned will remain forever and creep out. After that have them through die in again. I had three rear main seals leak because they weren’t seated right.

Top Bottom