Engine sounds sounds like a sander when cold?

jorgelrod

Hooked
I've noticed that my engine is sounding like it's sanding or something along those lines when it's cold, after it warms up I no longer hear it, I don't think it has to do with the Temps as it's been 60-70s this week and I've still noticed it. I've wondered if it might be the belts but Its been a year and a half maybe since the serpentine belts were replaced because one broke.

Any ideas what this might be? I took some video to help you guys help figure it out.

https://youtu.be/yXu0tKfcVsA

jkrichard

Are you low on power steering fluid? My idler pulley also made a higher pitch noise for a while after startup when the bearing was shot.

Get under the hood for a better idea of where it's coming from and go from there.

If it's coming from that area in the video I believe that's an AC pump. I'm not 100% on what sounds it makes if it's having trouble because I don't have AC.

Sent from my SM-G955W using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
Still trying to figure it out, I'll open it tomorrow morning and try record around to see if I can pinpoint or at least find a general direction.

Maineiac

Take a really long screwdriver to your ear and carefully put it on the housings near all your components. If it's a bearing, you'll be able to pinpoint it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Well, as I was driving from Orlando to Jacksonville the belt broke and left me without power steering or water pump. What the hell could be going on, this is the third time a belt breaks in the engine's lifetime and the first two were covered under warranty but something has to be wrong

WJCO

Meme King
Well, as I was driving from Orlando to Jacksonville the belt broke and left me without power steering or water pump. What the hell could be going on, this is the third time a belt breaks in the engine's lifetime and the first two were covered under warranty but something has to be wrong

Spin the pullies and see if any are rough. Also grab them and rock them seeing if one is loose. You can also use a small vacuum hose as a stethoscope and touch it to each pulley while engine is running to see if one is abnormally loud.

jeeeep

Hooked

seems like a bad pulley, idler tensioner or the belts you replaced it with was a little too large.

On my 2010, I found out the idler pulley has a slight outward slope so if it got wet enough it would slip off. Belts aren't breaking, it's a result of it getting hung up on something else when if fell off and then breaking.

When buying the replacement belts, even though they were all tagged as the correct belt there was up to a 1/2" +/- difference in the actual length of the belts.

If you're not getting a Mopar belt, I suggest Continental Elite belts, they're quiet and their fit is better than Gates, Dayco and AC Delco I tried. I carry a spare with me now.

You could have a bad pulley or a pulley that's out of alignment from the others causing the belt to "walk".

jorgelrod

Hooked
I was on the highway, roadside assistance took the jeep to a mechanic shop and I'm staying at the motel in front. I'll know more tomorrow

jorgelrod

Hooked
Looks like an idler pulley locked up and the friction burned the belt. New Idler pulleys and a new belt and I was on the road again. On the plus side, the sander sound is gone :D

jknikos

Nice to have your jeep back again. In how many miles do you expect an idler pulley to go bad? Or it was a faulty pulley from the beginning? I am asking because i am afraid this happening to me when i am in the middle of nowhere!

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom