Genright Aux Fuel Tank with EVO bolt on coilovers

whytiptoe

Ok, I hate that I have to fill up at least twice a week back and forth between work. I also am looking at some overllanding trips and the extra fuel would be a great help. So dose anyone know if there AUX tank will work with the EVO bolt on coilovers? It would be nice to be able to cary 40 gals without having to put it all over the jeep in rotopax system. Also will keep the COG lower as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even if it can, I don't know if I'd recommend it. All that weight on the back of your Jeep WILL effect the way your Jeep handles off road. A good friend of mine had one on his JK and he was always all over the place. Scary as hell to watch him in places like Moab. After getting a new Jeep, he decided against doing it again even though he really wanted one.

whytiptoe

Even if it can, I don't know if I'd recommend it. All that weight on the back of your Jeep WILL effect the way your Jeep handles off road. A good friend of mine had one on his JK and he was always all over the place. Scary as hell to watch him in places like Moab. After getting a new Jeep, he decided against doing it again even though he really wanted one.

Yea, that is a lot of weight, but how much extra have you carried with you on some of your trips in rotopax?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, that is a lot of weight, but how much extra have you carried with you on some of your trips in rotopax?

LOL! 4 gallons of gas is just a little over 15 lbs. Basically, a tool bag. 20 gallons of gas is almost 170 lbs. In other words, about the weight of an average grown man standing on the very back end of your Jeep. Of course, this is to say nothing about the gas tank itself. Add on your spare plus tools, recovery gear, spare parts and camping gear and now you're really ass end heavy.

whytiptoe

LOL! 4 gallons of gas is just a little over 15 lbs. Basically, a tool bag. 20 gallons of gas is almost 170 lbs. In other words, about the weight of an average grown man standing on the very back end of your Jeep. Of course, this is to say nothing about the gas tank itself. Add on your spare plus tools, recovery gear, spare parts and camping gear and now you're really ass end heavy.

Ok, for some reason I thought you had more than a 4 gallon rotopax.

40 gal [emoji50] where the hell are you planning on driving where you need that much extra fuel???

You do drive a Jeep like me right, that will get us 30 miles further down the road. Lol!!!

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Isn’t 4 gallons just over 25lbs? I think 20 gallons is well over 180lbs.

whytiptoe

I get that it’s more weight, however having the ability to travel so far without refueling is a benefit. You chose what tank you want to pull from, so it would always be best to pull from the rear.

I’m curious how heavy corner skins, EVO Tire Carrie and a 40” tire weigh with the 4 gal rotopax sitting so far out past the rear of the vehicle. Not saying that all that weighs more, but it does have more of a mechanical advantage on the suspension being so far out.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

What kind of wheeling do you do? If you're overlanding a lot and not climbing rocks then the extra range would be beneficial to you and wouldn't affect you as much.

I carry a shit ton of weight in the rear of my Jeep and had to adjust the suspension accordingly. My bumper system weighs as much as 40 gallons of gas before I add the spare, 10 gallons of gas, and Hi-Lift Jack. Of course, all my weight is stationary... The gas sloshing around in the tank could be an issue going off camber.

Again, I think it really depends on what you're doing with your Jeep.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

whytiptoe

What kind of wheeling do you do? If you're overlanding a lot and not climbing rocks then the extra range would be beneficial to you and wouldn't affect you as much.

I carry a shit ton of weight in the rear of my Jeep and had to adjust the suspension accordingly. My bumper system weighs as much as 40 gallons of gas before I add the spare, 10 gallons of gas, and Hi-Lift Jack. Of course, all my weight is stationary... The gas sloshing around in the tank could be an issue going off camber.

Again, I think it really depends on what you're doing with your Jeep.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Right now I just do weekend trips to windrock or AOP and do some trail riding. I am looking to do some more overlanding with the wife and child so we can see more of this wonderful world that we live in.

I am already carrying quite a bit of weight in the back with my home built wood storage box. I can add more spring in the back to offset things, but more weight in the back trying to climb obstacles will be more challenging, but that’s why I bought my warn 12k winch.

Obviously I will have to weigh out the pros and cons of the weight and ability to climb things.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Where exactly in Tennessee do you need that much extra fuel? I did 120 miles off road yesterday and 50 miles on road in between fill ups and my gas light wasn’t on yet. That’s with the smaller tank in a 2DR.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I get that it’s more weight, however having the ability to travel so far without refueling is a benefit. You chose what tank you want to pull from, so it would always be best to pull from the rear.

I’m curious how heavy corner skins, EVO Tire Carrie and a 40” tire weigh with the 4 gal rotopax sitting so far out past the rear of the vehicle. Not saying that all that weighs more, but it does have more of a mechanical advantage on the suspension being so far out.

LOL!! Not trying to convince you of anything if this is really something you want to do. Just sharing what I've seen with a personal friend who had this gas tank on his Jeep and how it performed out in places like Moab. Sure, he had greater range but his Jeep wheels like a guy standing on the back bumper. I suppose in some instances, it was nice to have especially when coming off big ledges. Where it sucked was going up them. Of course, your extra range is only as good as your ability to keep the spare tank full. On our way home on one trip, he assumed he had enough gas to skip gas stops and ended up running out of gas on the highway. But hey, it's your money and your Jeep - you should do as you will with both. :yup:

whytiptoe

Where exactly in Tennessee do you need that much extra fuel? I did 120 miles off road yesterday and 50 miles on road in between fill ups and my gas light wasn’t on yet. That’s with the smaller tank in a 2DR.

Oh I know I would not need it in TN, but when I decide to go on some really nice long trips the added gas would be nice.

LOL!! Not trying to convince you of anything if this is really something you want to do. Just sharing what I've seen with a personal friend who had this gas tank on his Jeep and how it performed out in places like Moab. Sure, he had greater range but his Jeep wheels like a guy standing on the back bumper. I suppose in some instances, it was nice to have especially when coming off big ledges. Where it sucked was going up them. Of course, your extra range is only as good as your ability to keep the spare tank full. On our way home on one trip, he assumed he had enough gas to skip gas stops and ended up running out of gas on the highway. But hey, it's your money and your Jeep - you should do as you will with both. :yup:

Don't take me having a different opinion as I don't value the input from everyone. Sometimes you have to ask the right and wrong questions to realize that sometime your idea really did not make sense. The only reason I even say anything about the corner skins and tire carrier with the fuel as there is a mechanical advantage on the way the weight affects your suspension. If I did use the tank the weight would be much close to COG compared to the way Moby handles that weight out there, and that goes for any jeep using the tire carrier running 40's.

Again thank you to everyone on the input.

Brute

Hooked
I have a 19 gal aux tank in the Brute...it fits between the frame rails between and slightly aft of the rear wheels. It does add a ton of weight to your ass that is noticeable especially on hill climbs as the weight shifts rearward. However, I make sure it's near empty (or only 5 gals in it max) when I'm on the trail, so you don't notice it at all. When on road trips, it's nice to have 400 mile range, and cuts my fuel stops in half...and I can be selective where I fuel up (no worries about brand z gas ⛽️ n the middle of nowhere cause that's the only gas for miles). My situation may be a bit different from yours since I have 139" wheelbase and a 5.7 which carries the weight better. If you can reliably keep only 25 gals in your tank when you hit the trail, you shouldn't notice any difference...but that's going to be tricky with only one fuel tank

whytiptoe

I have a 19 gal aux tank in the Brute...it fits between the frame rails between and slightly aft of the rear wheels. It does add a ton of weight to your ass that is noticeable especially on hill climbs as the weight shifts rearward. However, I make sure it's near empty (or only 5 gals in it max) when I'm on the trail, so you don't notice it at all. When on road trips, it's nice to have 400 mile range, and cuts my fuel stops in half...and I can be selective where I fuel up (no worries about brand z gas ⛽️ n the middle of nowhere cause that's the only gas for miles). My situation may be a bit different from yours since I have 139" wheelbase and a 5.7 which carries the weight better. If you can reliably keep only 25 gals in your tank when you hit the trail, you shouldn't notice any difference...but that's going to be tricky with only one fuel tank

Thank you, this is how I believe I would be using it as well. The rear thank now becomes the primary tank and the oem would be the AUX. My main reason for getting it would be during the overland trips that I want to take with the wife and child. When it comes to having them with me I always want extra security. So be it if I can not climb a ledge without getting out the winch, that is why I have the winch, but if I may not get home because of fuel, that is my concern and will think of ideas to fix that problem.

Top Bottom