New Fender Flares

Bquay20

BeQueer20
I'm in the process of putting on some Smittybilt XRC fender flares. I'm looking for some opinions on whether or not I should be reusing the stock liners or whether I should should just be getting rid of them. Also, if you think I should be keeping them, does anyone have any easy techniques for trimming them to make them fit with the new fender flares?

Thanks in advance! Time to get after the next weekend project!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of putting on some Smittybilt XRC fender flares. I'm looking for some opinions on whether or not I should be reusing the stock liners or whether I should should just be getting rid of them. Also, if you think I should be keeping them, does anyone have any easy techniques for trimming them to make them fit with the new fender flares?

Thanks in advance! Time to get after the next weekend project!

I'm not crazy about "chinaware" and wouldn't put Smittybuilt on my Jeep if I had a choice (and you always have a choice) but my rig came with the XRC's installed by the previous owner. The inners are very flimsy and tend to get damaged during the install of the new flares. The overwhelming consensus here is to trim your existing flares and save the money for other things if you spend any time playing in the rocks. The hard metal flares will damage the sheetmetal when you slam some granite and the trimmed plastic flares will just bend. There is a ton of info here on ways to do it and examples. On the plus side the XRC's provide tons of clearance.

If you're spending most of your time in the desert where you're not as likely to bounce off rocks and are committed to the XRC's I'd highly recommend you plan on new inners for the front. Thee rear looks OK just leaving it bare, I used a bedliner in a spray can and it was very easy and looks fine. There is a recent thread that shows plenty of options for the front. Check it out
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/51605-Front-Inner-Fender-Liners
Cheers!

Bquay20

BeQueer20
I'm not crazy about "chinaware" and wouldn't put Smittybuilt on my Jeep if I had a choice (and you always have a choice) but my rig came with the XRC's installed by the previous owner. The inners are very flimsy and tend to get damaged during the install of the new flares. The overwhelming consensus here is to trim your existing flares and save the money for other things if you spend any time playing in the rocks. The hard metal flares will damage the sheetmetal when you slam some granite and the trimmed plastic flares will just bend. There is a ton of info here on ways to do it and examples. On the plus side the XRC's provide tons of clearance.

If you're spending most of your time in the desert where you're not as likely to bounce off rocks and are committed to the XRC's I'd highly recommend you plan on new inners for the front. Thee rear looks OK just leaving it bare, I used a bedliner in a spray can and it was very easy and looks fine. There is a recent thread that shows plenty of options for the front. Check it out
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/51605-Front-Inner-Fender-Liners
Cheers!
Awesome! Thanks for the good info!

Out of curiosity, have you swapped out the XRC's since you really didn't like them or are you still running them? If you're still running them, have you had any real issues with them?

Awesome! Thanks for the good info!

Out of curiosity, have you swapped out the XRC's since you really didn't like them or are you still running them? If you're still running them, have you had any real issues with them?

I'm still running them but they are on my list to replace. No real major issues, they don't fit great, but have held up OK. I don't spend much time in the serious rocks like the main crew here but you never know. I did Holy Cross in Colorado last summer with friends and it can can get in blood. I'm building up my rig for tougher trails so concentrating on better axles, lower gears, more armor etc. The XRC's will come off when I can afford it.

Cheers!

Top Bottom