What do I need in a garage air compressor?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm looking to add a compressor to the garage. I'm not running a shop but I'd like to run air tools, fill up tires (bike and car), and run any other sort of air tools that I can think of (sprayer, nail gun, etc).

What do I need to look for? And why?

Size? PSI? HP?

Enlighten me please.

I have both a standup 30 gal / 150 psi and a small pancake 4 gal / 150 psi compressor. The standup is much better for my air tools as it holds a larger amount of air. They both run really well and come in very handy. If you are looking at getting just one, I would look at something about the 20-25 gal range as it is small enough to be mobile and big enough to run tools without constantly be running.

maybe like this...http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-20-gallon-vertical-air-compressor/p-00916913000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

DanMojo82

Well to sum it up, the thing that matters is the tools you plan on using and how much air pressure they need. If you look at the packaging for it you'll see the SCFM rating, which will tell you the pressure needed to run that tool. The air compressor will also have a SCFM rating letting you know how much it can push out. The bigger the tank the longer you can use your tools without air running too low. That's where HP rating comes in, a higher rating will allow you to refill the tank while it is being used without it affecting your tools. Keep in mind, that if you plan on using things like sprayers and grinders it uses a lot of air, so I wouldn't go less than a 30 gallon tank. Most compressors will say on the box what tools it is recommended for as well, and you'll only be able to sand blast with a very big, and expensive one.

Hope my incoherent rambling helps somewhat. :beer:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yeah, something to throw in the corner. Mobile would be nice, but I don't think I have a need for one. And I don't want to hear it running all the time.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
One thing to think about if you are going to use a sprayer MTG look a HVLP. They come in touch up and full size sprayers. They won't require as much as a conventional gun. I just have a pancake for my nail guns for home improvement. Works great and used it to build our 10' x 12' shed with a framing nailer. Larger the tank the less recovery time is needed. Check out the stand up compressors like you see at Lowe's or HD. There also might be a recommeded run in feet for your air line as well. Also, don't forget to put a filter on the line for moisture as well as adding onto the tool you are using like a dessicant type.:thumb:

DanMojo82

What I would recommend is a 60 gallon standing compressor, it will let you run better impact wrenches and some of your more common automotive tools properly. And it should be around the same price point as a 30 gallon wheeled compressor. For example, at my work we sell a 60 gallon compressor rated at 11.5 cfm @ 90 psi for $450. Then the wheeled 30 gallon rated at 5.5 cfm @ 90 psi is at $420. A impact wrench rated at 600 lb ft runs at 8 cfm @90 psi. A sprayer runs at about 5 cfm @ 40 psi (although for a long time).

As far as getting air to different areas around your garage you can either buy longer hoses or install a rather inexpensive system that would allow you to plug your tools in at different locations.

Last edited:

rubicrawl

I agree that's what I have a 25g one I sometimes take it to the track my buddy has one too and he built a box around it with a reel next to it with an air house and when he's done using it he closes the little door it's pretty cool it's not too big and not too small

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies! I was looking at the various ones at Home Depot/Lowes/Sear and even Harbor Freight. Guess I have some more research to do. :sigh:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies! I was looking at the various ones at Home Depot/Lowes/Sear and even Harbor Freight. Guess I have some more research to do. :sigh:

Let me know which one you get and I'll go buy the same one. :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
What I would recommend is a 60 gallon standing compressor, it will let you run better impact wrenches and some of your more common automotive tools properly. And it should be around the same price point as a 30 gallon wheeled compressor. For example, at my work we sell a 60 gallon compressor rated at 11.5 cfm @ 90 psi for $450. Then the wheeled 30 gallon rated at 5.5 cfm @ 90 psi is at $420. A impact wrench rated at 600 lb ft runs at 8 cfm @90 psi. A sprayer runs at about 5 cfm @ 40 psi (although for a long time).

As far as getting air to different areas around your garage you can either buy longer hoses or install a rather inexpensive system that would allow you to plug your tools in at different locations.

^^^This, and I would mount it to the garage slab. You can always borrow my 5 gal and nail guns if you are working with wood.

CerOf

My campelhausfeld cheapo upright 30 gallon has run everything I've got and then some. It runs on 110 so can plug in anywhere.

Only time it slowed down was replacing a hub on my old ZJ. I sat with my impact nonstop for 20 minutes till that 36mm nut finally broke loose.

It's rare you'll run something that long in a home garage.

Make sure it goes to 150psi. It will run tools, most are 90 psi, for longer periods of time than a tank that only goes to 120.

I'm a fan of the upright also. I don't have many sqft in my garage for a horizontal unit. FYI, my cheapo CH unit runs perfectly and it is 12 years old.

Paws

I got the craftsman 20gal on sale at thanksgiving. It was pretty cheap and can run two tools at the same time!

MTG

Caught the Bug
So I am looking at a 20 gallon one and a 30 gallon one. The difference in price is $100.

For occasional use is the additional 10 gallons worth it/necessary?

Edit: they are the same HP and operating pressure.

Last edited:
So I am looking at a 20 gallon one and a 30 gallon one. The difference in price is $100.

For occasional use is the additional 10 gallons worth it/necessary?

How much more mobile is one than the other? Unless that is not really a big concern. The only other thing would be tools... if you plan on running air tools, the 10 extra gallons will keep your compressor from constantly cycling and worth it!

andrew -

MTG

Caught the Bug
How much more mobile is one than the other? Unless that is not really a big concern. The only other thing would be tools... if you plan on running air tools, the 10 extra gallons will keep your compressor from constantly cycling and worth it!

andrew -

No real difference besides the tank size. I don't plan on moving it once I put it in my garage.

Realistically, is 20 gallons not enough to run a wrench to pull off my tires without it "constantly cycling?"

One thing to look at is the air flow out put. Usually impact wrenches and ratchets will work great with a 20g. Where you will run into problems is if you use a pneumatic sander, chisel or saw. You will want a higher CFM out put.

Top Bottom