Buzzing auto transmission?

clos0791

I have a subtle hissing (sort of high pitch) sound when I shift to reverse and drive. No sound in park and neutral. I have a 2015 JKU with low mileage. The sound only shows up when the engine is warm/hot. It does not happen when the engine is cold.

The Jeep drives fine and shifts fine. I only notice the sound in my garage. I read somewhere that it was normal? It does not really bother me but my OCD is why I'm asking you guys.

I really want to avoid taking it to the stealership.

Anyone else hear this weird sound?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
That sound I have found is sort of like hearing the gears "chatter" as they shift from stationary. I've never had any problems with noise like that and have also had them when shifting to reverse. I'm sure your Jeep is still under warranty though so if you really aren't sure I bet the dealer could take a look.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

With my 42rle, it is the solenoid, and as you note, only from reverse.
Can't say what it is for your model, but I would bet on it being the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My 2016 had an owl hooting sound when I put it into park and turned it off. Dealer narrowed it down to solenoid in the transmission (NAG1 or 5AW580), and replaced it at 6,000km. Now at 50,000kms...and still no owl under my jeep.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

My 2016 had an owl hooting sound when I put it into park and turned it off. Dealer narrowed it down to solenoid in the transmission (NAG1 or 5AW580), and replaced it at 6,000km. Now at 50,000kms...and still no owl under my jeep.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app
Replaced the solenoid not the actual transmission. 😎
I have a subtle hissing (sort of high pitch) sound when I shift to reverse and drive. No sound in park and neutral. I have a 2015 JKU with low mileage. The sound only shows up when the engine is warm/hot. It does not happen when the engine is cold.

The Jeep drives fine and shifts fine. I only notice the sound in my garage. I read somewhere that it was normal? It does not really bother me but my OCD is why I'm asking you guys.

I really want to avoid taking it to the stealership.

Anyone else hear this weird sound?

Thanks.

sparks

I had the same sound in my 2014 2 dealers claimed they couldn’t hear it. Had a Mercedes dealership transmission tech look at it and said it was most likely a sticking solenoid. Suggested I have him upgrade to some “blue top” solenoids, but since it was under warranty I wasn’t paying anyone to do anything.

If dealer says they can’t hear it I believe You have to get trans temp +160° to get it to happen. Open the door and shift between PRND.

Good luck, hope you end up getting it resolved - I ended up trading mine in for 17

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

clos0791

I had the same sound in my 2014 2 dealers claimed they couldn’t hear it. Had a Mercedes dealership transmission tech look at it and said it was most likely a sticking solenoid. Suggested I have him upgrade to some “blue top” solenoids, but since it was under warranty I wasn’t paying anyone to do anything.

If dealer says they can’t hear it I believe You have to get trans temp +160° to get it to happen. Open the door and shift between PRND.

Good luck, hope you end up getting it resolved - I ended up trading mine in for 17

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks for the info, it sounds like I have the exact same thing going on. I will make an appointment and use the info you provided.

So did you get your 2014 resolved? before you got your 2017?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

sparks

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I have the exact same thing going on. I will make an appointment and use the info you provided.

So did you get your 2014 resolved? before you got your 2017?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

No I told them to take care of it after I traded it in. I remember reading on here that a clogged valve body might also cause a the hum/hoot. Could be that too. Just stay persistent on the dealer to fix it and make sure it all gets documented.

clos0791

No I told them to take care of it after I traded it in. I remember reading on here that a clogged valve body might also cause a the hum/hoot. Could be that too. Just stay persistent on the dealer to fix it and make sure it all gets documented.
Thanks!
This info will definitely help 😊.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom