Hold Off on the Infotainment System Update!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much for posting this up!! I totally would have done it being that I want the Off Road Pages on mine. Saved me a ton of headaches :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I didn't realize the software could be updated over the air. Any bets on how long before someone figures out how to hack these and take control of the Jeep? I wonder if the infotainment system is tied into the rest of the vehicle in a way that permits opening doors, starting the engine, etc.

Exodus 4x4

I didn't realize the software could be updated over the air. Any bets on how long before someone figures out how to hack these and take control of the Jeep? I wonder if the infotainment system is tied into the rest of the vehicle in a way that permits opening doors, starting the engine, etc.

Probably

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Like anyone has been able to do that :cheesy:

Jackal01

There was a bunch of concerns and whatnot with Tesla cars but AFAIK hacking and major issues haven't occured. Not to say it won't but this isn't anything new.

Besides, since Falcon Heavy was more or less a success last week surely their car-software is safe enough! Lol

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
There was a bunch of concerns and whatnot with Tesla cars but AFAIK hacking and major issues haven't occured. Not to say it won't but this isn't anything new.

Besides, since Falcon Heavy was more or less a success last week surely their car-software is safe enough! Lol

I've seen the videos and news stories on the cherokee getting hacked. While I'm not too concerned about someone taking control and driving me off a cliff, I do get a little concerned about the possibility of opening the doors to get in or theft of the vehicle all together.

My wife's Yukon XL has onstar and she has called them before to unlock the vehicle. It's pretty creepy when the doors open up just based on a satellite signal from who knows where.

JeepFan

Hooked

The Infotainment system has onboard broadband wireless. That's how it can update over the air. It also includes SiriusXM Guardian which allows you to remote control things like starting the engine, unlocking the doors, horns and lights. In addition, you can even locate your vehicle on a map. Of course, all these things require an active cell connection. (It uses At&T so your mileage may vary!) :D

As far as security goes, I would guess it's as secure (or not secure) as the computer or mobile device your currently using. And that's no joke! Security through obscurity is the name of the game these days. If the hacker doesn't know the secret then you should be safe. :crazyeyes:

Jackal01

I've seen the videos and news stories on the cherokee getting hacked. While I'm not too concerned about someone taking control and driving me off a cliff, I do get a little concerned about the possibility of opening the doors to get in or theft of the vehicle all together.

My wife's Yukon XL has onstar and she has called them before to unlock the vehicle. It's pretty creepy when the doors open up just based on a satellite signal from who knows where.
I mean it has happened seeing as anything can happen however my point is I don't believe it to be THAT big of a deal, personally. But I'm no tech genius so maybe I'm wrong and skynet is about to take over.

What I find to be mind blowing is that Tesla cars can back up just by hitting a couple buttons on the fob. What a time to be alive!?

JeepFan

Hooked
I mean it has happened seeing as anything can happen however my point is I don't believe it to be THAT big of a deal, personally. But I'm no tech genius so maybe I'm wrong and skynet is about to take over.

What I find to be mind blowing is that Tesla cars can back up just by hitting a couple buttons on the fob. What a time to be alive!?
Lol! By chance do you work for Intel? [emoji6]

Top Bottom