2010 JK Aftermarket Stereo Install, No SWC

KJs JK

I am trying to install a new head unit in my jeep, and i had to buy that ridiculously overpriced harness that came without the SWC, VSS control box.

My question is, if I do not have Steering Wheel Controls, nor a premium sound system, do i need that control box?

If I need that control box solely for the VSS, I will be very angry.

Wethy

There are two pac harnesses. One which requires the steering wheel controls if you have them you'll need the rp4-ch11. If you dont have SWC, which it sounds like, another option is the c2r-CHY4. Which is basically the same.thing but doesnt have the extra bells the first harness has. You do need this because the jeep uses a canbus system and the radio requires a canbus interface so this mimics that to work properly. The C2r-chy4 should be a lot cheaper like around 100 or less.

Edit:just looked on amazon. Its like 60 US for the c2r-chy4

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

KJs JK

Thank you, I just came to the same conclusion.

The factory wiring harness lacks a remote connection, so i thought i could just wire that to a fuse tap, but it doesn't seem like that will work.

Just have to suck it up and buy the controller harness.

An FYI would be that AutoZone sells the harness without the controller for $50 at the brick and mortar store, however they do not stock the controller module at the store. The harness is apparently useless without the controller so i will be returning the harness and getting the whole rig somewhere else.

KJs JK

Thank you, I just came to the same conclusion.

The factory wiring harness lacks a remote connection, so i thought i could just wire that to a fuse tap, but it doesn't seem like that will work.

Just have to suck it up and buy the controller harness.

An FYI would be that AutoZone sells the harness without the controller for $50 at the brick and mortar store, however they do not stock the controller module at the store. The harness is apparently useless without the controller so i will be returning the harness and getting the whole rig somewhere else.

Update: I found the controller in the bottom of the box, I am just an idiot, please disregard all of this nonsense. The kit from AutoZone DOES NOT come with the SWC controller though, that has to be bought separately. Apparently PAC is nice enough to make a Jeep compliant harness controller without the SWC controller (kit w/SWC is $100).

Wethy

Ha ha yeah for anyone interested. A website called "bestkits" allows you you to see what parts are available and what options each piece comes with

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom