Regearing and axle question

Towmnky

I am regearing my 17 jku sport and the person that is doing it is recommending I upgrade to 35 spline rear axles thoughts? I am running 37’s. Trying to do this in sections later I will be upgrading the Dana 30 front but just wanted to h at thought on rear axles

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

My opinion is that this stage of a build is one that you should do all at once. Gears are one of those things most people dont mess with at home - which means you're paying for labor. If you're putting in gears and an ARB, I would go with 35 spline now, especially with 37s. Do it once, do it right.

If there is a PR44 front in your future, absolutely do not spend money on the 30. It is wasted.

Exodus 4x4

Do whatever you want, but remember that ANY money you spend on the D30 is lost, never to be seen again.

I agree that the rear should be upgraded to 35 spline when you re-gear, if you can afford it.

zimm

Caught the Bug
My buddy was talking like you are. He decided to "save" money and truss, sleeve, gusset, and 4.88 his D30. Not only did it explode spider gears, but did so on the second day of our week long Moab trip. We then had to rebuilt it with a new ring and pinion, spider gears and carrier just to get home. Then he ordered and installed a PR44. So that PR44 ended up costing quite a bit more in the long run.

RockingK

My D30 could not handle 37’s, several failures went to 60’s but I’m also running a V8. It’s my understanding that when you get to 488’s and up that the pinion gets real small. As others have mentioned, 35 spline in your 44 is a good idea and putting money in a D30 with 37’s is not. My.02.

desertrunner

Just a thought here. The dynatrac trail leader package is exactly all the parts you are looking for. If you want to do it in stages they have their rear ARB 35 spline package then you can do the pr44 later however when you take into account you have to match the gears up front first then buy the pr44. Your going to spend a few grand more than just buying the trail leader package. So if you have the cash and or the patients. The trail leader package will save you the most money to get that set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

chipper

I would leave the front unlocked. However, depending on what your stock gears are also. If you have 321 you’ll need a new carrier. So... if that’s the case you might as well get and arb for it.
Just my 2cents

Top Bottom