Quad band vhf radio

Gobicon2017

I have a portable vhf / uhf radio I carry. Looking for more distance etc. curious if anyone had or is using a quad band radio. Also looking into remote the mount head unit. Any recommendations. I know rugged radios has dual band race etc.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

The recommendations are similar to CB, except that you have more flexibility and range if you hit repeaters.
By quad band you mean you have 70cm, 2m, 6m and something else?
Without knowing the radio model it's difficult to tell what you need to do.
For example, does it have the multiplexer so you only need to attach a multiband antenna?
What's the output power?
Power it from the battery using ferrite chokes to filter noise.
Antenna choice and placement are also critical. Diamond and Comet are good brands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gobicon2017

The recommendations are similar to CB, except that you have more flexibility and range if you hit repeaters.
By quad band you mean you have 70cm, 2m, 6m and something else?
Without knowing the radio model it's difficult to tell what you need to do.
For example, does it have the multiplexer so you only need to attach a multiband antenna?
What's the output power?
Power it from the battery using ferrite chokes to filter noise.
Antenna choice and placement are also critical. Diamond and Comet are good brands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looking at the Yaesu Ft-8900R or similar. Wanting to be able to monitor all bands. Fire ems etc....

fiend

Caught the Bug
Range is typically a function of power output, which is limited by law for many civilian channels. The way to extend range within power limits is to hit repeaters. HAM operates that way. Get a HAM license and go to it. But pointless unless your buddies also are on HAM

Fire, LAw enforcement also use repeaters. You can scan those channels, unless they are encrypted, but you’re not allowed to transmit on them.

14JK-U

Looking at the Yaesu Ft-8900R or similar. Wanting to be able to monitor all bands. Fire ems etc....

Fire ems and police bands are typically not available to civilian radio's. There are a few out there and they're great radio's but usually come with a pretty price tag. Most units that people have are receivers without transmit capabilities. If you do decide to go with VHF and live anywhere near the ocean or large bodies of water stay off ch 16. You're radio will never be quiet and very large fines can be placed on you if you break the rules of that channel. Not to mention it's recorded and tracked by some government agencies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gobicon2017

Thanks for the input. I currently have a license for gmrs etc. need to take test for ham. I know most that use vhf / uhf stick to the race channels etc. I’m just wanting to use one to monitor on the higher frequency channels like the 7 @8 hundreds where most utility, city and fire operate.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the input. I currently have a license for gmrs etc. need to take test for ham. I know most that use vhf / uhf stick to the race channels etc. I’m just wanting to use one to monitor on the higher frequency channels like the 7 @8 hundreds where most utility, city and fire operate.

If your radio is programmable and can receive those frequencies, you can find them on the internet, program them in, and set your scan to include them. I have some dual band Baofeng and Wouxon radios that I’ve programmed to both send and receive the local sheriffs, county fire, forest service, etc channels. Some EMS have moved to encrypted digital channels, though, which you won’t be able to access.

Gobicon2017

If your radio is programmable and can receive those frequencies, you can find them on the internet, program them in, and set your scan to include them. I have some dual band Baofeng and Wouxon radios that I’ve programmed to both send and receive the local sheriffs, county fire, forest service, etc channels. Some EMS have moved to encrypted digital channels, though, which you won’t be able to access.

Ok. I have the BaoFeng BF-F8HP and it only allows up to 500’s. That’s what I was looking for. Thinking I’ll go with a decent priced quad band yeasu radio or similar and antenna. That way it should serve my intended needs.

Was curious if others were running a quad band vs. a dual. Thanks again

fusion_jeff

I helped a friend install a TYT TH-9800, he really likes it. I’m considering getting one for myself and getting my operator license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robx251

Caught the Bug
Are u using a single quad band antenna or have a switcher.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am using a dual band 2m/70cm. I have looked at running a quad band antenna but the ones I seen seem to be very ridged and not flex much. I use my Jeep in pretty heavily wooded trails with lots of branches so I need a flexible whip and the 1/4 wave 2m/70cm seems to be the best option. I am still looking for different mounting options for a quad band that would make sense both functionally and keep it protected from branches but have yet to find any options

Last edited:

Gobicon2017

I am using a dual band 2m/70cm. I have looked at running a quad band antenna but the ones I seen seem to be very ridged and not flex much. I use my Jeep in pretty heavily wooded trails with lots of branches so I need a flexible whip and the 1/4 wave 2m/70cm seems to be the best option. I am still looking for different mounting options for a quad band that would make sense both functionally and keep it protected from branches but have yet to find any options

the antenna and its length is an issue for me too. As a dual band would be just above cab height were as the quad from what I can tell is much taller.

robx251

Caught the Bug
the antenna and its length is an issue for me too. As a dual band would be just above cab height were as the quad from what I can tell is much taller.

Yes, that is correct. I am looking at getting a dual band 2m/6m antenna as there are no repeaters up here for 70 cm but if i do that it takes out the options of having the FRS/GMRS frequencies in there for "emergencies."

As of lately I had been having issues with getting out and checked the SWR on my set up and it is at a 4:1 so i need to do something different, I'm not sure what tho.

Top Bottom