Recovery Gear Load Limits

Mark54

Alright, I did a brief search and couldn’t find much so here’s my question. I just bought a snatch block and tow strap. The snatch block is rated to 20,000lbs. I have 2012 JK and a rugged ridge 9500 lb winch. Will this be alright? Just wondering what the rule of thumb is for this stuff and I want to make sure I am being safe. Thanks!

Mark54

Sorry if I was unclear. My question is geared toward the snatch block. Is it rated high enough at 20k that I don’t have to worry about it breaking or anything like that

WJCO

Meme King
What exactly are you preparing for? Winching yourself or helping recover another Jeep? Either way, I think that setup will work well.

Mark54

I’m just buying recovery Gear for the first time and want to make sure I’m buying the right stuff. For example I want to make sure the snatch block can handle directional and double line pulls

Chris Gearhart

Your snatch block will be (theoretically) good for double-line or directional pulls with that winch.

Directional pulls (where you’re changing direction of winch line) are determined by the angle.

If your angle is 0 degrees (you are pulling an object away from your Jeep, i.e., a double-line pull) the multiplication factor is 2 (so 10k pound object exerts 20k pound of force on the block). For this you need a block that is double the capacity of your winch.

If your angle is 90 degrees (a right-angle turn to the left, say) the multiplication factor is 1.41). (So a 10k load is exerting 14.1k pounds on the block.)

If your angle is 150 degrees (a wide- angle dog-leg to the left, say) the multiplication factor is 0.51). (So a 10k load is exerting 5k pounds on the block.)

IMG_0670.JPG

Got this from: http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/html/en-US/pdf/pgs/378.pdf

Keep in mind these are theoretical. Friction is a factor, and you should do your research before hurting people or breaking things. But this gives you an idea of what capacity to get for your blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I’m just buying recovery Gear for the first time and want to make sure I’m buying the right stuff. For example I want to make sure the snatch block can handle directional and double line pulls

IMO, try and find a quality US made snatch block with the proper weight rating and you'll likely be fine.

RockingK

👍

Your snatch block will be (theoretically) good for double-line or directional pulls with that winch.

Directional pulls (where you’re changing direction of winch line) are determined by the angle.

If your angle is 0 degrees (you are pulling an object away from your Jeep, i.e., a double-line pull) the multiplication factor is 2 (so 10k pound object exerts 20k pound of force on the block). For this you need a block that is double the capacity of your winch.

If your angle is 90 degrees (a right-angle turn to the left, say) the multiplication factor is 1.41). (So a 10k load is exerting 14.1k pounds on the block.)

If your angle is 150 degrees (a wide- angle dog-leg to the left, say) the multiplication factor is 0.51). (So a 10k load is exerting 5k pounds on the block.)

View attachment 293847

Keep in mind these are theoretical. Friction is a factor, and you should do your research before hurting people or breaking things. But this gives you an idea of what capacity to get for your blocks.

Great explanation 👍

Brute

Hooked

View attachment 293847

Another factor is how badly are you stuck...just barley high centered on a rock?...or mid door in nasty mud...

Wethy

One thing to consider is whats called the "working load limit" or WLL which is what the piece of equipment is designed to be used at under normal use, also sometimes called "rated capacity" or "safe working load" SWL. Most times good rigging/recovery gear will have that labelled on there.

There is also something called the MBL which is the "minimum breaking load". Usually the MBL 4 or 5x the safe working load. So just pay attention to packaging or ads on the web and make sure its telling you that the constant working limit.

Shackles are a good example.
On a good shackle it should say
WLL 4 3/4T
Which means its rated to lift/hold 4 3/4T of weight under normal use. Its actual break limit is more like 16 -20T.

Just some food for thought. Ha ha.

aTX427

Awesome stuff, thanks guys. Any recommendations on weight rating for tow straps/tree savers?

I just upgraded some older gear to Mac's straps. Made in the USA and super nice people. They can walk you through their options on the phone. ARB is popular and have a great reputation as well, but I've had some recent issues with the quality of their air accessories, which makes me question their other products.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I got most of my stuff from Westech Rigging Supply, I believe they are up on Oregon. They had good prices on tow straps, shackles, etc. They also have the WLL info to help in your selection.

They sell everything, even shackles up to 55 ton WLL haha.

SDG

Caught the Bug
What is the WLL on all of your gear?
My shackles are 10,450 wll with a 6:1 safety factor (so shoukd not break till 63,000 lbs), tow strap is 20k with a 40k breaking strength. I have the bigger ARB snatch block 9,000 with a 38,500 break strength... if you can tell I don't want heavy things shooting out at mach 5 if they were to break.

Mark54

What length tree saver straps do you guys have? I see that a common option is the 3”x6’ but is 6 feet too short?

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
What length tree saver straps do you guys have? I see that a common option is the 3”x6’ but is 6 feet too short?

That is only good for a tree that is just under 2 feet in diameter. If too live where trees are bigger then I would get a ten footer. If you live in southern Arizona like me then you will likely not use it.

Top Bottom