HELP - Soft Top Bolts that Hold Bracket Broke

RuggedRob

So I went to put my soft top all the way back today and the bolts holding the bracket to the roll bar just snapped on one of the brackets.. So now I have the remains of the bolts stuck in the threads of the roll bar. Any suggestions???

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I went to put my soft top all the way back today and the bolts holding the bracket to the roll bar just snapped on one of the brackets.. So now I have the remains of the bolts stuck in the threads of the roll bar. Any suggestions???

They don’t usually screw in tightly so maybe see if you get some needle nose pliers down the hole and try to spin it out

RuggedRob

Get a bolt extractor to take it out. The bolt size is M6x1x20.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Unfortunately the hole is way too tight to get a needle nose in.. but I'll check out the bolt extractor. Thanks for the size to use!! Never done this before.

I think this happening to me just fits my weird bad luck this week. Never heard of this happening to anyone else before and my jeep is a 2015...

fiend

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately the hole is way too tight to get a needle nose in.. but I'll check out the bolt extractor. Thanks for the size to use!! Never done this before.

I think this happening to me just fits my weird bad luck this week. Never heard of this happening to anyone else before and my jeep is a 2015...

Use a Dremel to cut a slot in the part sticking out, then use a flat head screwdriver to spin it out.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Use a Dremel to cut a slot in the part sticking out, then use a flat head screwdriver to spin it out.
This has worked for me too several times in the past. I just use the “cut-off” wheel and slowly cut a straight groove across the body of the bolt. Then carefully use a flat head screw driver to remove the remaining bolt/screw.

If that doesn’t work, use an EZ-Out.

RuggedRob

Unfortunately due to crazy odds of both bolts breaking completely flush with the roll bar is going to be too difficult. Thanks for the suggestion though, as that is a good strategy.

RuggedRob

plug weld a nut to it and back it out.
Thanks evwryone for the suggestions! My welding skills are pretty much null. I'd like to practice them, however on someone else's jeep haha. I should be able to finally make it to the hardware store tomorrow to find a left handed twist bolt to use. So I'm hoping I find success by Friday at the latest. Driving in the rain gets awkward when going to work.[emoji51]

thombull

This is a temporary fix so your not driving around in the rain. Just until you can get the bolts out. This works, done it before. Get a piece of metal flat bar about one and a half inches wide by 6 in Long, put two holes in it to bolt to the bracket then hold it onto the roll bar with two hose clamps it works perfectly.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom