Jeep JK Wrangler Axle Breather Hose Extension

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to installing things like longer sway bar links and brake line extension brackets, when you lift your Jeep JK Wrangler to a height of 3″ or more, it’s a good idea to extend your rear axle breather hose as well. If you don’t, you may find that the hose will get pulled off the axle when flexing out on the trail. While this is not that big of a deal in and of itself, the hose being separated will allow water dirt and debris to get inside your axle and that can cause big problems. Fortunately, extending your axle breather hose is cheap and easy to do and can be done in minutes by following this write-up.

What you will need
• 12″ Length of 1/4″ or 5/16″ Fuel Line
• Universal Emission Vaccum
Double Male Hose Connector
• Zip Tie

Instructions
1. Here’s a shot of what you will need in order to extend your axle breather hose. As you can see, I chose to use a universal vaccum double male hose connector and 1/4″ fuel line for this mod.
main.php

2. Determine the size you need the universal double male connector to be and cut off the excess with a pair of scissors or utility knife.
main.php

3. Insert one end of your double male connector into your fuel line hose.
main.php

4. Climb under your Jeep and pull the breather hose off the brass nipple on your axle.
main.php

5. Insert the opposite end of your double male connector into your Jeep's breather hose.
main.php

6. Loosely zip tie the breather hose to the cross member above your rear axle as shown.
main.php

7. Plug your newly extended breather hose on to the brass nipple on your axle.
main.php

And that's it, you're done. Your Jeep JK Wrangler’s axle breather hose has just been extended and you no longer have to worry about it pulling out when flexing on the trail.

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
Perfect timing, we will be installing Bryan's coilovers this weekend!

Thanks Eddie, I would have definitely overlooked this on my rig.. As well as my brothers.

pastorwug

These are the kind of fixits that used to be a part of another forum but have been missing for a while.
Thanks Eddie for your know-how and care.

arashi

It's in the details that we see the difference. Kind of things I would have never think... Thx for the write up.

did mine a few months ago.

Moved my breathers for my axles to higher ground. You guys that lifted may want to consider this as my front one got pulled down about 3 inches due to flexing. It was basically in the wheel well. Lots of damage if an axle sucks water.
And just for extra measure I clamped the tube at the axle

I also got tired of all the dirt and mud inside the tub behind the driver rear taillight. So I took expanding foam and sealed it.

zy8ana2e.jpg

a2anyzur.jpg

avu8u8at.jpg

e3e4u9yp.jpg

a7e6y3ut.jpg

ugepy4y8.jpg

de5yguva.jpg

Jersey_Devil

I linked all my breathers into my snorkel with a rr kit! One of my first mods, what with jerseys deep holes in the pines I need it!

kb3ejw

speaking of breather tubes,where are the T-case and Trans tubes located so i can relocate them as well.
this is going to be a job for when the weather warms up a little more...

SGTGunner

speaking of breather tubes,where are the T-case and Trans tubes located so i can relocate them as well.
this is going to be a job for when the weather warms up a little more...

I've been trying to find them on my 09 automatic also. Seen pics of the 12+ where the transfer is plainly mounted to the firewall behind the engine, but they were on standard tranny Jeeps.

I think I may have found one of them bolted behind the engine on back of the pass side head, but I cant get a good view or feel of it.

noroad

This is my project for tonight, i have a couple questions before i start, one did you bring all the lines back to under the hood? Also does this work the same for the tranny(and where is the tranny end point now)

CharlieK

Having had my 37's recently installed, I can't stop staring at my jeep. This morning I was coming back from taking my dogs for a walk, I panicked I saw a hose hanging from rear axel, not having any idea how catastrophic this damage was I quickly logged on and found it here. Eddie thank you for a form full of much needed information.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Just wanted to add something to this great writeup....I've used those nylon couplers a lot back in the day when doing turbo/supercharger vacuum line tapping, and after a year or so, the nylon simply disintegrates and turns into a powder.

When I did my breathers, I used these two items (as well as the fuel line Eddie mentioned)...

Stainless steel worm clamps to make sure the hoses don't slip off
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HWGMBG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these things to couple the hoses.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069TUVD2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those couplers come with 4 clamps, I just wanted to have a few extra just in case.

Here's a link for fuel line in case anyone wants it...

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Fuel-Line-Hose-16/dp/B000VZJH6W/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y

That's enough to do 5 jeeps, so throw a WOL party/bbq at your house and split the cost.

Last edited:

Ricky Zee

Axle Breather Hose Extension Question

Just wondering...Is there any downside to simply replacing the stock hose with a longer one and eliminating the need for couplers? My thought is that this reduces another possible point of failure (the hose couplers). Please point out anything obvious I may have neglected to take into consideration. thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering...Is there any downside to simply replacing the stock hose with a longer one and eliminating the need for couplers? My thought is that this reduces another possible point of failure (the hose couplers). Please point out anything obvious I may have neglected to take into consideration. thanks!

Nope. You can just replace the whole thing without any issues.

Top Bottom