Suspension lift

jku-monster

I have a 4 door jeep wrangler jku I'm going to be putting a 3inch zone suspension lift with fox shocks on a stock model is it necessary to get a longer drive shaft from and rear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 4 door jeep wrangler jku I'm going to be putting a 3inch zone suspension lift with fox shocks on a stock model is it necessary to get a longer drive shaft from and rear.

Has nothing to do with length. Over 2.5 inches the rzeppa joint angle on the front driveshaft is too steep. The boot will tear and the joint will fail from lack of lubrication. Lack of lubrication tears shit up real quick, ask my ex....

Last edited:

Rubicon310

Has nothing to do with length. Over 2.5 inches the rzeppa joint angle on the front driveshaft is too steep. The boot will tear and the joint will fail from lack of lubrication. Lack of lubrication tears shit up real quick, ask my ex....

Has anyone determined the average mileage before this happens? I’m at 15k miles and I still don’t see a torn boot. What are the recommended drive shafts around here?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

You can get away with this for a long time though. I'm still on the factory shaft with 3.5 inches, boot is fine. 50k miles.
Definitely worth upgrading, but isn't needed right away.

OP: Those Zone coils are shit. If you haven't installed the kit I'd return it.

Xhisors

You can get away with this for a long time though. I'm still on the factory shaft with 3.5 inches, boot is fine. 50k miles.
Definitely worth upgrading, but isn't needed right away.

OP: Those Zone coils are shit. If you haven't installed the kit I'd return it.

It also depends how hard you wheel too.

I dont think my DS would care how tall my lift is if all it did was go around the starbucks drive through. That being said, the stock DS isnt exactly weak.

J

JKDream

It also depends how hard you wheel too.

I dont think my DS would care how tall my lift is if all it did was go around the starbucks drive through.

You must know from experience.
I don't know what "wheeling hard" has to do with the CV boot ripping seeing as it's already bottomed out from a lift.
But that doesn't mean you can't get some miles out of it. But what do I know, I guess I'm not a hardcore wheeler like yourself.

Xhisors

You must know from experience.
I don't know what "wheeling hard" has to do with the CV boot ripping seeing as it's already bottomed out from a lift.
But that doesn't mean you can't get some miles out of it. But what do I know, I guess I'm not a hardcore wheeler like yourself.

Never said anything about myself being a hardcore wheeler at all. Think i just said or meaning to say.. if someone doesn’t offroad, you wont have any issues anyway.

I was being mostly sarcastic, apologies if I struck a nerve. :)

Last edited:

Vinnielax

The guidance is to upgrade it when you get a lift of that size. If you want to roll the dice and stay OEM that’s your call. Just don’t be surprised if you have a problem and need AAA to tow you from the mall.

I mostly do trail riding bot enough to tear up so it'll be okay for now I'll get a ds later?

BaddestCross

You'll know when the boot fails as there will be grease puked all under your Jeep. After that you will begin to hear a clicking noise... That's the joint failing. Ask me how I know.

The issue isn't the strength of the shaft, it's the joint at the transfer case that will go. Will it go tomorrow? Probably not. Will it go at a time that's totally inconvenient to you? Absolutely.

Replace the shafts now as a preventative measure or roll the dice. Your call. The folks here are just trying to save you some grief.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

WJCO

Meme King
I mostly do trail riding bot enough to tear up so it'll be okay for now I'll get a ds later?

It has nothing to do with the type of wheeling that you do. It is because the angle of the driveshaft is steeper and the boot is pinched because of it. The boot will eventually tear, then when the joint loses lubrication long enough, it will start clicking.

CharlesC

You'll know when the boot fails as there will be grease puked all under your Jeep. After that you will begin to hear a clicking noise... That's the joint failing. Ask me how I know.

The issue isn't the strength of the shaft, it's the joint at the transfer case that will go. Will it go tomorrow? Probably not. Will it go at a time that's totally inconvenient to you? Absolutely.

Replace the shafts now as a preventative measure or roll the dice. Your call. The folks here are just trying to save you some grief.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

^^^Sound advise^^^ it will soon look like this [emoji116]
I thought installing a TF high angel kit would solve this issue - - nope [emoji107] IMG_0655.JPG

Top Bottom